What fresh from Florida October Produce is in season now? I am so excited that October is finally here!
October is when the Farmer's Markets start opening up in Fort Myers, Florida! It is an exciting time of the year for a veggie lover like me.
I just found out my favorite Thursday Farmers Market is open and I can't wait to go visit some of my favorite Fresh from Florida produce vendors this week.
Florida produce is available at most grocery retailers and Florida Farmers Markets.
October Produce Recipes
- Avocados: One of my favorite ways to eat fresh avocados is to slice one and drizzle my homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing over one. Or slice it and add it to a sub or sandwich. Here are 42 Avocado recipes that will blow your mind. Check out that Avocado Coconut Pound Cake!
- Sweet Bell Peppers: I use Florida Bell Peppers to season many of my recipes. Or I like to make Crock Pot Stuffed Bells Peppers with them.
- Carambola aka Starfruit: Carambola is one of those sweet tropical fruits you can not describe. It has a very short season and when it is carambola season you want to preserve starfruit so you can enjoy it longer.
Try this Carambola Iced Tea Cooler and freeze some of the leftover carambola juice for later.
Or make Dehydrated Star Fruit so you can enjoy it for months after carambola season ends. recipe coming soon or check out my Strawberry Carambola Jam recipe.
- Cucumbers: Start the morning right with a Kiwi Cucumber Smoothie using fresh cucumbers.
Or use some of those fresh cucumbers to make refrigerator dill pickles.
- Grapefruit: Squeeze a few fresh Florida Pink Grapefruits and make a Pink Rose Mimosa.
- Guava: still need a guava recipe!
- Mushrooms: Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup recipe with fresh Florida mushrooms.
Make those fresh mushrooms last forever by making Dehydrated Mushrooms so you also have mushrooms of hand for your favorite recipes.
- Oranges: My Best Cranberry Bread recipe uses fresh Florida orange juice and orange zest.
- Peanuts: Make this Old Fashioned Caramel Corn recipe for Halloween.
- Yellow Squash: Make this Simple Sautéed Vegetables recipe using fresh Florida squash.
There is a new to me squash on the market. It is called Kabocha Squash and it tastes amazing.
It tastes like a nutty butternut squash and can be used in place of any winter squash like butternut or acorn squash or even sweet potatoes.
You can quickly cook a Kabocha squash in the Instant Pot and mash it or you can use it to make this tasty Kabocha Squash Casserole for the holidays.
- Sweet Corn: Sweet Corn is still available in October so grab a dozen or so ears and make Instant Pot Corn On The Cob.
- Tangerines: Winter is Florida citrus season. You can make a citrus curd out of any in-season citrus fruit like fresh Florida Tangerines.
- Tomatoes: Now that it is finally getting cooler here in Florida fresh vine-ripened Florida tomatoes are available.
Try this refreshing Tuscan Tomato Mozzarella Salad recipe with fresh Florida Heirloom tomatoes.
You can make Dehydrated Grape Tomatoes to preserve tomatoes and enjoy them all year long.
If you have green tomatoes you can make Quick Pickled Green Tomatoes.
Quick Pickled vegetables are another great way to you eat fresh vegetables.
Leave a Reply