Sweet Cherry Vanilla Jam Recipe
Have you ever made a Sweet Cherry Vanilla Jam? If you are lucky enough to live where the cherries are aplenty I advise you to print this Sweet Cherry Vanilla Jam recipe out and tape it somewhere that you will not forget about it when the cherries come into season!
A few years ago I made a very delicious pear vanilla jam recipe by way of a great canning website Food in Jars.
It was the first time I had ever added vanilla to a jam recipe. At the time I made and after the very first taste of the Pear Vanilla Jam I fell in love.
I have been making jams for well over 20 years and I pretty much only made the staples of jam making. Strawberry jam, blackberry jam, and jalapeno jam were the flavors of jams I would make over and over again each year because I loved them and so did most of the family and anyone I ever shared a jar or two with.
Occasionally I would mix things up by making a mixed berry batch. One year I made a peach jalapeno That was really good. I love the hot and sweet flavor of a pepper jelly.
Working with jalapeno's can be hazardous to your health so take caution when handling the hot peppers or you may end up like I did in agony. You will only make this mistake once. Take my word for it or you can read about my jalapeno experience here on my Jalapeno Jelly post.
Since I have been making jam in the Ball Jam & Jelly maker I have made two batches of vanilla flavored jam and I can't see my obsession stopping any time soon. This recipe is adapted from the Sweet Cherry Jam recipe on the Ball Fresh Preserving website.
disclosure: (affiliate links)
Need the perfect cherry pitter? Check out my favorite cherry pitter that gets almost all of the pits the first time.
Sweet Cherry Vanilla Jam
- 2 ⅔ cups crushed frozen sweet cherries about 2 lbs
- 3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit® Classic Pectin
- 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
- ½ tsp butter or margarine
- 3 ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Thaw and crush cherries, measure and set aside.
- Measure remaining ingredients and set aside.
- Sprinkle pectin even over the bottom of the jam maker..
- Add cherries, lemon juice and butter to the jam maker.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half then split each half and scrape bean. Add vanilla bean seeds and pods to the jam maker.
- Press the enter button. When the jam maker issues four beeps add sugar and cover with the lid.
- Jam will cook for about 21 minutes in the jam and jelly maker. Once the jam is done cooking fill jars accordingly and process in a hot water bath.