I have been wanting to make homemade fig preserves for many years. So today I am going to share How to make homemade fig preserves with you.
My obsession with making fig jam or homemade fig preserves started over 10 years ago when I bought a self-pollinating brown turkey fig tree
If you have ever planted a fruit tree you know it takes a few years for the fruit tree to mature enough to bear fruit.
Well, let's just say someone came a little too close to the base of my fig tree a couple of times too many with a lawnmower or weed eater.
The fig tree has been gone awhile now but I still have dreams of growing my own figs one day.
Fresh Figs are only available in the grocery stores for a very short time here in Florida and they are usually very expensive.
Last summer I got lucky and caught some brown turkey figs on sale and snatched a couple of containers up.
Since it was an impulse buy I had no idea how many figs I would need so I bought a couple of containers and hoped I had enough to make a batch of fig preserves.
I love the way this homemade Fig Preserves recipe turned out.
It tastes great on toast and on a bagel with cream cheese. I can also see using it as a filling for cakes or a strudel.
Enjoy the recipe Summer will be here before you know it and when it's fig season you will be looking for the perfect homemade fig preserve recipe!
NEW Fig Preserves Canning Label
I love to use beautiful canning jar labels when I make my jam, jellies, and preserves.
You can purchase this beautiful Fig Preserves Canning Label for your jars. Homemade jams make great gifts.
Canning Supplies Needed to Make Fig Preserves (affiliate links)
These are affiliate links. I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase after clicking a link.
- Ball Jelly Elite Collection Jam Jar (4 Pack), 8 oz
- Ball Dissolvable Labels - (Set Of 60) Amazon Best Seller! I love these labels!
- Ball Collection Elite Brushed Silver Design Wide Mouth Jars 8 Oz
- Ball Canning Utensil Set
- Ball® Secure-Grip Jar Lifter
- Ball FreshTECH Automatic Home Canning System Makes heating jars and water-bath canning so much easier than boiling pots on the stove.
More canning recipes
Check out some of my favorite homemade jam and jelly recipes below.
Print the How To Make Homemade Fig Preserves recipe below.
How To Make Homemade Fig Preserves
- 6 cups brown turkey figs ( stem trimmed and roughly chopped)
- 7 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest ((optional))
- 1 teaspoon margarine or butter (to cut down on foaming (optional))
- 3 ounce packet Certo liquid pectin
- Wash, trim stems and slice figs into 4th.
- Add first six ingredients to a large pot and let sit about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile boil jars.
- Put flat lids in a small pot of water and boil then turn off the heat.
- On medium heat bring ingredients to a full rolling boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in packet of liquid pectin.
- Continue stirring until ingredients come to a full boil. Stop stirring and boil for exactly one minute.
- Remove pot from hot burner.
- Allow preserves to settle.
- Skim foam off top.
- Fill jars.
- Process 20 minutes in a hot water bath.
Recipe Expert Tips
- Use any variety of fresh figs to make preserves.