How To Make Homemade Fig Preserves
I have been wanting to make homemade fig preserves for many years. So today I am going to share How to make homemade fig preserves with you.
My obsession with making fig jam or homemade fig preserves started over 10 years ago when I bought a self-pollinating brown turkey fig tree.
If you have ever planted a fruit tree you know it takes a few years for the fruit tree to mature enough to bare fruit. Well, let’s just say someone came a little too close to the base of my fig tree a couple of times too many with a lawn mower or weed eater. The fig tree has been gone awhile now but I still have dreams of growing my own figs one day.
Can It Forward 2017 Live event! Hang out with Ball Canning during the Can It Forward Live event on August 5th. Head over here for the details and to enter my Ball Canning Prize pack sweepstakes!
I share new canning recipes all year long. Sign up for the Flour On My Face newsletter so you don’t miss my upcoming canning recipes.
Fresh Figs are only available in the grocery stores for a very short time here in Florida and they are usually very expensive. Last summer I got lucky and caught some brown turkey figs on sale and snatched a couple of containers up. Since it was an impulse buy I had no idea how many figs I would need so I bought a couple of containers and hoped I had enough to make a batch of fig preserves.
I love the way this homemade Fig Preserves recipe turned out. It tastes great on toast and on a bagel with cream cheese. I can also see using it as a filling for cakes or a strudel.
Enjoy the recipe Summer will be here before you know it and when it’s fig season you will be looking for the perfect homemade fig preserve recipe!
Canning Supplies Needed to Make Fig Preserves (affiliate links)
These are affiliate links. I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase after clicking a link.
- Ball Jelly Elite Collection Jam Jar (4 Pack), 8 oz
- Ball Dissolvable Labels – (Set Of 60) Amazon Best Seller! I love these labels!
- Ball Collection Elite Brushed Silver Design Wide Mouth Jars 8 Oz
- Ball Canning Utensil Set
- Ball® Secure-Grip Jar Lifter
- Ball FreshTECH Automatic Home Canning System Makes heating jars and water-bath canning so much easier than boiling pots on the stove and .
Print the How To Make Homemade Fig Preserves recipe below.Print
If you can get your hands on fresh figs you will want to read this How To Make Fig Preserves recipe so you can take advantage of fresh fig season. This Homemade Fig Preserves recipe was made with fresh Brown Turkey Figs but you can use whichever type of fresh figs you have. Make fig jam or fresh fig preserves so you can enjoy the flavor of fresh figs all year long. Making preserves from fresh figs is a great way to extend fig season through the winter months.
- 6 cups trimmed, and roughly cut brown turkey figs
- 7 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 teaspoon margarine or butter
- 1 packet liquid pectin
- Wash, trim stems and slice figs into 4th.
- Add first six ingredients to a large pot and let sit about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile boil jars.
- Put flat lids in a small pot of water and boil then turn off the heat.
- On medium heat bring ingredients to a full rolling boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in packet of liquid pectin.
- Continue stirring until ingredients come to a full boil.
- Stop stirring and boil for exactly one minute.
- Remove pot from hot burner.
- Allow preserves to settle.
- Skim foam off top.
- Fill jars.
- Process 20 minutes in a hot water bath.
Calories are for an entire Pint jar.
- Serving Size: Per Pint
- Calories: 848