This Southwestern Turkey Chili is delicious with a little spice from the Italian turkey sausage.
I love making homemade chili. I will eat it for lunch and dinner. I love adding vegetables and beans. I will occasionally add pasta or rice. Soups are some of the easiest recipes to make and you can make a big batch and freeze the leftovers.
All in all chili is a very healthy meal that is perfect for a cold winter meal. Around here we love chili so much we eat it all year long.
But I usually make it with ground beef the way my husband prefers. Every once in awhile I like to try to make my family meals a little healthier.
I've recently been watching my carbs as I try to eat healthier and lose some weight that has crept up on me since I started food writing.
Chili is such a versatile recipe. You can change a few ingredients and make so many different variations.
Today I made a turkey chili recipe that is a healthier, low carb version of the chili I usually make.
Even if you are not following a low carb meal plan you will still love this southwestern turkey chili that is packed full of flavors.
To spice things up a bit I used an Italian turkey sausage that has no carbs, is low fat but packed with flavor.
I also added a can of my favorite Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes. Since I discovered these fire roasted tomatoes when I made this Crock Pot Italian Swiss Steak recipe.
I immediately fell in love with the flavor. Now I add it to almost all of the soups and stews that I make.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be made in one pot from start to finish. It is a great one pot recipe.
More recipes you'll love!
Leave a comment if you have a question about this or any other recipes I have shared. Tried one of my recipes? Leave a star rating on the recipe. Leaving a rating really helps me out. Thanks! Come hang out with me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
Click the buttons below in the recipe card to print, save to Pinterest or save the recipe to your favorites.
Print, share and save the recipe below
Southwestern Turkey Chili
Homemade Chili Seasoning Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
Turkey chili ingredients
- 4 links Turkey Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 bag frozen Southwest Blend vegetables
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 oz. can Hunts Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can pinto beans rinsed well
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Mix the chili seasoning
- Mix all the chili seasonings together in a small bowl and set aside.
Make the turkey chili
- Remove the casing from the Italian turkey sausage and brown in a large Dutch oven, breaking it into bite size pieces. Cook the sausage until almost cooked through the center.
- Add the olive oil, diced onion, garlic, and chili spice mix to the pan. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes on a medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cool water until all the lumps are gone. Add to the pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. The chili is done when the sauce had thickened.
- 8 servings.
- Serve with a dab of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and some crunchy tortilla triangles.