Freezer Meals: Healthy Low Breakfast Muffins
Start the morning off right with these low carb Breakfast Muffins. Make a batch for an easy Sunday morning breakfast or brunch. Or make a batch and freeze them and just pop them in the microwave to reheat. They make a great breakfast freezer meal.
I’m at an age now where I need to watch what I eat to lead a healthier life. To do that I decided cut my intake of carbs down. I am eating a lot healthier now. As you probably know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Until recently I have never been a breakfast eater. I have been on the Activia 4 week challenge. Before that I was eating a bowl of healthy cereal.
Getting into the habit of eating breakfast has been challenging. I wanted something on hand that was a little more filling than cereal or yogurt that I could eat once in awhile. I decided to make these low carb breakfast muffins and freeze them. I figured if I had something on hand that was easy to prepare in the morning I would be more likely to eat every morning.
Healthy Low Carb Breakfast Muffins
I made these breakfast muffins with turkey sausage but you could use any type of sausage or bacon that you like. You could also add some fresh spinach. The bottom layer of the breakfast muffin is a layer of steamed cauliflower. It’s a great way to get an extra serving of vegetables in during the day.
These low carb breakfast muffins are a great freezer meal breakfast recipe that you can have on hand for those busy mornings you don’t have time to cook breakfast. Pop one in the microwave and out the door you go.
- 2-3 Italian Turkey Sausages
- 2 1/2 cups steamed cauliflower, chopped finely
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red, yellow and orange peppers
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese, divided
- dash garlic powder
- Steam cauliflower and chop finely.
- Remove the casing from the turkey sausage cook over a medium heat, breaking up the sausage into bite size pieces.
- Mix the Parmesan , 1/4 cup of lowfat cheddar and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with the cauliflower. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs.
- Add the cooked sausage, peppers, 1/4 cup low fat cheddar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, dash of garlic powder to the eggs and mix well.
- Divide the cauliflower mixture between the 12 wells of a cupcake pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray.
- Press the cauliflower mixture into the bottom of each cupcake well with the back of a spoon.
- Add 1/4 cup of the egg mixture to each cupcake well.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 22 minutes.
- Immediately remove each breakfast muffin from the pan and allow to cool on a cake rack.
- May be frozen in individual servings in a freezer safe bag.
- To reheat remove muffin from the freezer and heat in the microwave.
- Or thaw frozen breakfast muffin and heat in a toaster oven.
Low carb breakfast option and a healthier way to start the morning.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 47