Onion Cheddar Muffin Recipe
This Onion Cheddar Muffin recipe comes from my mother in-law. A few years ago I scanned all her old family recipes that she has saved over the years from her mother and grandmother in a recipe card box.
It has been too long since I posted to my Vintage Recipe Project.
I love old vintage recipes. I have a large collection of vintage cookbooks, church booklets and recipe boxes. Besides the recipe cards that I scanned from my mother in-laws family she also handed down to me all the recipe booklets and church cookbooks that her mother and grandmother owned.
When I am making some of these old recipes I usually need to make some changes. This one didn’t need to be adapted at all but I did add some onion powder to it because I wanted to layer the onion flavor. It turned out great. I also added some chopped onion and a bit of cheddar cheese to the top of each muffin before it went in the oven. So I guess I did adapt it a little bit.
This recipe makes 12 muffins even though the original recipe states it will make 14-16 muffins. Muffin tins were much smaller back in the day. I happen to have one and the muffins wells are about 3/4 the size of muffin wells now.
This Onion Cheddar Muffin Recipe is a Vintage Family Recipe from my mother in-laws old recipe box collection of old family recipes.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Chop onions and drain over a bowl in a fine mess strainer.
- Grate cheese and mix 1 cup into the dry ingredients.
- Add 3/4 cup of drained onions to the bowl and mix well being sure the cheese and onions do not clump up but are evenly distributed.
- Mix milk, egg, butter together in a small bowl. Pour into dry ingredients and mix gently until all the flour is moistened.
- Fill each well of a muffin pan evenly. Sprinkle about a 1/4 teaspoon of reserved chopped onions over the top of each muffin. Sprinkle remaing cheddar cheese over each muffin top.
- Bake 400 for 20-22 minutes.
An updated and adapted old family recipe
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American