Nutella Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Have you ever eaten nutella?
I’ll wager most people have. I have seen it in the stores. I have seen it on the web. I have seen it in the magazines. And I have seen it on some food blogs. But I have never eaten it. GASP!! Not until a few days ago that is.
My daughter saw the jar stashed in my baking pantry and actually tried to eat it. Can you believe the nerve? I asked her if she had ever eaten it and she said YES!
I was shocked. I had never bought any. Of course I asked her where and she replied at one of her friends house. DUH of course MOM. Yes I had one of those MOM moments.
My daughter and her friend are so cute. I caught them playing on the web cam. Each one was showing the other one their jar of nutella. Only her friend had THREE jars and was rubbing it in because I wouldn’t let my daughter eat any until I made this recipe.
I know, I am a mean mom. It was pure torture. But hey to be fair I never opened the jar to sneak a taste until I was ready to make my recipe. It was tempting but I knew once I cracked the seal on that baby I was going to have a hard time keeping the kid out of it. So to be safe it stayed sealed up and out of sight in the pantry.
A few days after I read bell’ alimento’s blog post about playing in a nutella monthly challenge I found a coupon in my newspaper. Was it fate or what that had that coupon showing up when it did? I’m not sure but I took it as a sign. I ripped that baby out and stuck it in my purse so I would have it the next time I went to the grocery store.
So here it is. I wanted to make a spectacular brownie and I think I did. It turned out nice and moist and very tasty. I had to hide them after a small sampling so I could takes some pictures. I figure a recipe is a success if you have to hide it from the family so there is something left for photos.
Next time though I am going to up the amount of nutella in the cream cheese frosting. If you decide to try my recipe keep that in mind.
The brownie portion of the recipe is a compiling of a couple of basic brownie recipes I found on the internet that I tweaked for my own brownie recipe.
How to make Nutella Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Nutella Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
: Arlene Mobley
Recipe type: Brownie
- Cream Cheese Topping
- 4 oz Philly Cream Cheese
- 2 tbs softened butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp Nutella
- Brownie Batter
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ stick of softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare cream cheese topping first.
- Beat cream cheese with butter,sugar and flour until smooth.
- Scrape bowl and add the egg and beat until creamy.
- Scrap bowl again and add Nutella, beat about one minute or until the nutella is mixed into the cream cheese mixture completely.
- Set topping aside and mix brownie batter.
- Sift flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder into a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl cream sugar, ½ stick of butter,vanilla. Add eggs one at a time beating well inbetween each egg.
- Fold the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Spread ¾ of the brownie batter into the bottom of the 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Using a spatula that has been sprayed with cooking spray spread the thick brownie batter to all 4 corners.
- Spread ¾ of the cream cheese topping over the brownie batter.
- Randomly dollop the remaining brownie batter and cream cheese topping over the top of the pan. Swirl with a tooth pick or the tip of a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. For gooey brownies bake for 40 minutes. For a dense cake like brownie bake for 50 minutes.