Strawberry Jello Poke Cake Retro Recipes
This Strawberry JELLO Poke Cake recipe is one of those retro recipes that will never go out of style. Fun to make and impressive to serve for any occasion. A dessert recipe that will have everyone excited to bite into a piece of strawberry flavored cake smothered in a layer of Cool Whip Topping.
This weekend’s #SundaySupper is all about Retro recipes, then and now. If you poke around on my site you will see how much I love old vintage recipes. I even have a Vintage Recipe Project where I remake old family recipes from my collection of recipe cards and cookbooks that my mother-in-law has passed down to me.
If you’d like to check out the vintage recipes you can click on the Vintage Recipes category for a full list of all the vintage recipes I have updated or made in the past.
We all have recipes that bring back fond childhood memories. Jello played a big part in my childhood.
I can remember how excited I would get when my mom made jello. Sometimes it would be plain jello and whipped cream. Other times it might be a beautiful jello dessert with fruit cocktail mixed in and I would dig around in my bowl hoping I got a cherry half. What a disappointment it was when there was no cherry to be found in my bowl!
For Sunday Supper this week I decided to try my hand at a Jello Poke Cake. Back in the day you would frost a Poke Cake with Cool Whip but Kraft has a new Cool Whip Frosting now that is to die for. So I updated this vintage/retro recipe by using the new Cool Whip Frosting.
I hope this #SundaySupper brings back some fun childhood memories for you also!
What fun Jello dessert did you eat as a child?
Scroll down past the recipe for the rest of the Sunday Supper Retro Recipes.
- 1 box of white cake mix or your favorite homemade white cake recipe
- ingredients to make cake
- 2 - 3 oz boxes of Strawberry Jello
- 2½ cups of water, divided
- 1 tub Vanilla Kraft Cool Whip Frosting
- Make the cake mix as directed.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Using a wooden spoon poke holes all around the top of the cake.
- After the cake has cooled boil 2 cups of water.
- Stir in the two boxes of jello.
- Stir until Jello has disolved.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of cold water and stir.
- Pour the jello over the cooled cake.
- Chill at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Frost with Vanilla Cool Whip Frosting
This Week’s Sunday Supper is all about “Retro Recipes.” Those food memories that immediately take us back in time. Some of us enjoyed them so much that we will never change our mom’s or grandma’s recipe.
Other’s were ready to reinvent and update their favorite Retro Recipe.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite Retro Food Memory with us!
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup by The Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Tator Tot Casserole by Neighbor Food Blog
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Love Poke Cake recipes? Then check out this Rainbow Jello Poke Cake