Apple and Cranberry Turnovers
Apple and Cranberry Turnovers are the ultimate fall dessert recipe. Serve these Apple and Cranberry Turnovers with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
Welcome to the Autumn Apple Party for #SundaySupper!
This is my first time joining the Sunday Supper movement and I am excited to be a part of this wonderful group.
This weeks Sunday Supper is all about apples and our hostess for this weekend is Cindy from Cindy's Recipes and Writings.
If you get a chance stop by and say hi to her.
Nothing says Fall has arrived more than the abundance of apples available in the grocery stores.
Here in Florida where I live these are some of the varieties easily available at most grocery stores.
Red Delicious, McIntosh, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and Fuji
If your lucky enough to live in the Apple mecca of the world I am jealous! I would love to be able to find some heirloom varieties at a local farmers market but not many varieties will grow here in our hot and humid area.
I say not many because although I have read that there is a variety or two that will grow in Florida I am not sure it is my area of Florida where we rarely get below 40 degrees in the winter.
These mini Apple and Cranberry Turnovers are a perfect fall treat. The crust is tender and flaky and the filling is sweet and tart.
The filling does double duty and makes an excellent vanilla ice cream topping.
Whichever variety is your favorite your sure to find a sweet or savory apple recipe at this weeks #SundaySupper
Be sure to check out the rest of the #SundaySupper Party for many more recipes that feature apples below my turnover recipe.
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag. We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our
#SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
Print the Apple and Cranberry Turnovers recipe below.
Apple and Cranberry Turnovers
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 egg separated
- 3 tablespoons cold water divided
- 2 cups flour
- 5 Cups thinly sliced peeled granny smith apples about 8 medium
- ½ cup fresh whole cranberries
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Zest from one large orange
- Pinch salt
To Make the Crust
- Soften butter and cream cheese on the counter.
- Separate the egg, set yolk aside and refrigerate the egg white until your ready to bake the turnovers.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat 2 tablespoons of the water into the egg yolk.
- Gradually add the egg yolk to the cream cheese and butter, beat until smooth.
- Slowly add flour ½ at a time, beating with the mixer until the batter becomes too thick, then using a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining flour.
- Once the flour is incorporated scoop the dough into a zip top bag, seal and chill for at least one hour. Over night is fine also.
To Make the Filling
- Zest the orange. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice.Measure ¼ cup of orange juice. Put the zest and juice into a large bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Then cut the slices in half across the width. Add the apple slices to the bowl of orange juice and stir. Slice a couple of apples at a time adding the slices to the bowl and stirring to coat. The orange juice will help keep the apple slices from browning. Slice apples until you have 5 cups of apple slices.
- Rinse the cranberries and add to bowl of apple slices.
- Add apple slices and cranberries to a large skillet, with the sugars, cinnamon, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir and cook on medium until the apple slices are softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Making the turnovers
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to ⅛th inch thickness. Using a 4 or 5 inch circle cookie cutter cut circles of dough. Move the dough circles to a cookies sheet covered with parchment paper or greased with butter.
- Add a tablespoon of filling in the center of the circle of dough, dampen the edges with your finger dipped in water, pull the dough over and gently press the edges together.
- Carefully press the tines of a fork into the edge to seal, being careful not to pierce the turnover.
- Beat the egg white with the reserved tablespoon of water. Brush the tops of the turnovers with the egg white wash and sprinkle with some white sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.
- If you have a little filling left over spoon it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. This filling made a delicious topping for the ice cream you see picture.
- This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the Taste of Home Baking Classics Cook Book
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
- Spiced Apple Ale Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Apple Chia Tea- Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again