Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
#QuickFixCasseroles from Country Crock
Disclosure: This Shepherd’s Pie Casserole recipe has been sponsored by Country Crock.
Shepherd’s Pie Casserole is one of my families favorite recipes. I have been making it as long as I have been married and it was a recipe my husband’s mother made for him when he was a kid. I was making this recipe for about 20 years before I knew it was called Shepherd’s Pie.
For years, this recipe was called Matamooscaboosca in my house. I’m not even sure if that is how it is spelled because I am pretty sure my mother-in-law made up that name when she was cooking this quick and easy casserole recipe for my husband and his siblings.
Let me break it down phonetically for you Mata-moos-ca-ba-boosca. Did you get that? Because I felt ridiculous saying that name for many, many years. Matter of fact once I found out it was actually a Shepherds Pie recipe I never again referred to it as Matamooscaboosca. But anytime I told my husband I was making Shepherds Pie for dinner he would say, “You mean you’re making Matamooscaboosca.” Yeah, well you know what they say.You can’t teach an old dog new tricks…..
And yes I have been using Country Crock just as long as I have been making this recipe.
This easy casserole recipe comes together in the amount of time it takes to brown a pound of ground beef. Then you can heat it in the microwave or if making a larger casserole in the oven.
Using instant mashed potatoes is the trick to getting this casserole on the table in just under 30 minutes.
How to make Shepherd’s Pie
- Brown one pound of ground beef to make this 8×8 casserole. While browning the meat make the mashed potatoes following the instructions on the back for 6 servings.
- Once the potatoes are done spread them in the bottom of the baking dish.
- When the ground beef is cooked drain it well then spread it over the layer of potatoes.
- Open up a can of corn and spread that over the top of the meat.
- Spread 8 ounces of grated medium cheddar cheese over the top of the corn.
- Cook in the microwave for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- This size pan will serve 4-6.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 servings instant mashed potatoes
- 1 can corn, drained
- 8 oz medium cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown the ground beef. add some spices. I like to use garlic salt and everglades seasoning. While cooking the ground beef cook the instant mashed potatoes following the directions on the box.
- When the potatoes are done speread them evenly in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish.
- Drain the ground beef well.
- Spread the seasoned ground beef over the mashed potatoes.
- evenly spread the can of corn over the beef.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the corn.
- Bake on 375 until the cheese is melted or in the microwave for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.