Chicken Noodle Casserole
This warm and creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe is comfort food your family will love. Made with simple ingredients that my large family would eat.
How to feed picky eaters
Back when my family was way larger than it is now I was always looking for dinner recipes that everyone in my family would eat.
It can be hard feeding a family when you have a number of picky eaters in the house. I would often find myself changing some of the ingredients in a recipe so my family would eat it.
We were a family of five and it seemed like there was always one or two ingredients in a dinner recipe that someone in my family would not eat.
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
Take this Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe for example.
Casserole recipes are a perfect dinner option when you need to feed a family.
Most casserole recipes are made with some type of pasta, rice or mashed potatoes, a cream-based soup, a small amount of meat, and a vegetable.
Because noodles, rice, and potatoes are filling but inexpensive ingredients they are usually the main ingredient in a casserole recipe.
It is really easy to stretch your food budget dollars by serving casseroles for dinner.
Because most of my family would not eat tuna casserole I decided to convert tuna casserole into a chicken casserole recipe because my family would eat chicken and not complain about it.
I was able to feed my family and save money at the same time just by changing up a couple of ingredient in the recipe.
This creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole served my family well over the years. So a few weeks ago I was thinking about the recipes I would cook when money was tight. I had forgotten about my Chicken Noodle Casserole until then.
Casserole Recipe Variations
I used canned chicken breast meat for this recipe but this chicken casserole would be even more delicious made with diced cooked chicken or even a store bought rotisserie chicken.
I used canned sweet peas for this recipe but you could use canned peas and carrots instead.
Click the link for more easy family casserole recipes.
Print or Pin the Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe below.
Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 16 oz wide egg noodles (cooked)
- 21 oz canned cream of chicken soup (2 small cans)
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 15 oz canned sweet peas (drained)
- 25 oz canned white premium chicken breast meat (drained or 2 to 2 ½ cups of diced chicken meat)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Boil the noodles in a pot of water following the directions on the bag. Drain the noodles well and pour them into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl mix well to combine the cream of chicken soup, milk, black pepper and salt.
- Pour the soup mixture over the noodles in the baking pan and mix into the noodles.
- Drain the two cans of chicken meat and add the chicken to the baking dish mixing with a large spoon to evenly distribute the chicken.
- Add the can of drained peas to the baking dish and with a large spoon gently fold the peas into the other ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes.