Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
The Ben’s ™ Beginners Cooking Contest
Cooking with your kids is a great way to teach the kids to help out with family responsibilities. It is also a great way to get them on the path to eating healthy.
My youngest daughter (17) and my two oldest granddaughters love to help me in the kitchen. My daughter is a very accomplished cook and can cook many of our families favorite meals.
My Easy Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe is so easy that I decided to have Hailey, my oldest granddaughter (she will be 8 in two weeks) come over and make this easy crock pot recipe with me and then have dinner with us. She was very excited to help out today!
Uncle Ben’s is all about encouraging kids to learn how to eat healthy. Uncle Ben’s wants to encourage as many kids as possible and get them in the kitchen cooking. This will help them make smart food choices.
The Ben’s Beginners ™ Cooking Contest is a nationwide cooking video competition for kids that encourages families to cook up a healthy kid friendly rice based recipe for the family. Kids from kindergarten to the 8th grade are eligible to enter. To see how easy it is to enter your child head over to The Ben’s Beginners ™ Cooking Contest page.
You can also find the contest information on the Uncle Ben’s Facebook page. While you are there check out last years winner and her winning recipe for ideas on how to shoot your own child cooking their recipe.
The Grand prize is $15,000 for your family and a $30,000 cafeteria makeover for your child’s school. Just think of all the fun you and your family could have with $15,000 if your kid wins.
This Easy Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe can be made with leftover chicken, the meat from a rotisserie chicken or you can cook skinless boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot before starting the Easy Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe in the crock pot.
Start the chicken in the crock pot early in the day. Once you have your cooked chicken the final recipe only takes a couple of hours from crock pot to dinner table since the chicken is already cooked.
Have your child put the cooked chicken into the bottom of a cold crock pot.
Next have him or her mix the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and salt and pepper in a bowl and pour it over the chicken in the crock pot.
Next he or she will add the thawed and drained broccoli, rice and cheese to the crock pot.. Have them gently stir the ingredients, place the lid on the crock pot and turn the temperature to high.
Cook the Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice for 3 hours without stirring or until the rice is tender. The ingredients and full instructions are available below in the Ziplist recipe format.
Tips for cooking with the kids
- Select easy recipes.
- Find easy age appropriate tasks. Even small children can help with simple recipes. 3 year olds can crack eggs and help stir a bowl.
- Keep the kitchen safe by always staying close by when children are helping in the kitchen.
- Prepare an easy crock pot recipe with your child. Crock pot recipes are some of the easiest recipes to make. Simply add all the ingredients to the pot and cook.
- Mom or Dad can chop vegetables and allow younger kids to pour them in a bowl for mixing or a cool pot for cooking.
- 3 cooked boneless chicken breasts or 3 cups chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Uncle Ben's Original Rice
- 2 can cream chicken soup
- 1½ cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Pull the chicken meat apart on a plate and set aside.
- Have your child mix the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- If using frozen broccoli thaw in the microwave, drain and set aside.
- Have your child put all the cooked chicken meat in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Have your child carefully pour the chicken broth mixture over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Measure out the rice and have your child pour it into the crock pot.
- Have your child add the drained broccoli to the crock pot.
- Top off the ingredients with 1½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Let your child gently mix the ingredients.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and set the crock pot on high.
- Cook without stirring for 3 hours or until the rice is tender.
- Before serving sprinkle the remaining ½ cheddar cheese over the top.
- Replace the lid. Serve when the cheese has melted.
Cooking with your children makes for a great beginning! Visit
www.unclebens.com and click on The Ben’s Beginners™ Cooking Contest page to learn more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Uncle Ben’s. The opinions and text are all mine.