Easy Orange Curd Recipe
Orange Curd is a great recipe to use up some of the abundance of winter citrus. The winter months here in Florida are abundant with every type of citrus available. Backyard trees have ripe fruit drooping from the branches. Sadly most of that fruit goes to waste. I image the owners of those trees just don’t know what to do with all that fresh fruit. This orange curd recipe is just one of many more citrus recipes I hope to bring to you here on my blog.
- 1½ to 2 oranges
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tbs orange zest
- In a stand mixer or with a hand held mixer beat the sugar and orange zest for 2 minutes to release the orange oils.
- Add butter to the bowl and cream. until pale yellow.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well in between each addition.
- Beat until a pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly add orange juice.
- Pour mixture into a heavy sauce pan and heat on medium high, whisking constantly until thickened and has reached 175 F on a candy thermometer.
- Be sure to continually whisk to avoid separation.
- Once thickened to remove any lumps strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Cool completely, uncovered on counter. Cover tightly and refrigerate.