Homemade Bread – Perfect White Sandwich Bread recipe.
As long as you have this homemade bread recipe you will never go hungry. This homemade bread recipe makes a perfect loaf of white sandwich bread.
|Homemade Bread Recipe|
How to make Homemade Bread
- 2 cups warm milk
- 4 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs yeast
- 2 tbs softened butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 ½ to 5 ½ cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- Measure one cup of the milk into a small bowl and warm in the microwave. You want the milk to be slightly warmer then body temperature. You should be able to stick your finger in it and it feel warm not hot. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast and your bread will not rise properly.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the yeast and stir well. Set aside until the yeast is very foamy- about 10 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for your yeast to foam up add the remaining milk, softened butter and salt to a large bowl: warm in the microwave until the butter is melted. Let cool slightly so that it is about room temperature. You should be able to wrap your hands around the sides of the bowl and it feel warm, not hot.
- Once your yeast is foamy pour it into the large bowl and stir it a bit so everything is combined.
- Add 3-4 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it is too thick to stir with a spoon anymore. If your dough is too sticky to handle after adding 4 cups of flour and mixing add another ½ cup of flour in and mix again.
- Keep adding flour until the dough is dry enough to handle. You want to be able to handle it and not have most of the dough sticking to your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth, about 10 minutes. If you have a stand mixer you can use it with the dough hook.
- The amount of flour you will need while kneading will vary depending on the moisture in the air. I used about 5 ½ cups of flour for this recipe. Other times I have made this recipe and only needed to use 5 cups of flour. Don’t worry even if you need to use more than the 5 ½ cups that I used.
- Once your dough is nice and smooth butter the inside of a large bowl and flip the dough around in it so all sides of the dough are covered with butter. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about an hour.
- After the dough has doubled punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in half and form into two loaves. Place the dough into two buttered bread pans.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise until the dough is puffed up over the edges of the bread pans. Again this may take up to an hour.
- Pre-heat your over to 350 degrees. Before you put your bread in to bake gently brush some melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Remove from the oven and brush some more melted butter over the top.
- Cool for ten minutes and turn out of pans and cool on a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Makes 2 loaves.
|Step By Step bread dough rising|
|Step by step forming bread dough into a loaf|