Christmas Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Christmas Sandwich Cookies are sweet little bite size cookies filled with a butter cream cookie filling. These sparkling little gems are filled with three holiday colors of cookie filling.
12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to the 12th day of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipe event.
Day #12 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes
Today is the final day of this sweet Christmas cookie adventure we have been on for the past 12 days. I hope you enjoyed all the delicious Christmas cookie recipes that have been shared.
Scroll down to enter the Rafflecopter form for a chance to win a KitchenAid Mixer. Last chance to enter!
- Flour On My Face: You are here Christmas Sandwich Cookies
- Walking on Sunshine Recipes: Raspberry Jam Shortbread Cookies
- Glenda Embree: Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies
- Fat Dad Foodie: Fat Gingerbread Man Cookies
Have you missed one of the Christmas cookie recipes?
- Day #1 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Almond Spritz Cookies Recipe
- Day #2 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Old Fashioned Coconut Washboard Cookies
- Day #3 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Day #4 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Big Soft Ginger Cookies
- Day # 5 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Chocolate Peppermint Blossom Cookies.
- Day #6 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Raspberry Linzer Sandwich Cookies.
- Day #7 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: No-Bake OREO Snowball Cookies
- Day #8 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: German Spice Cookies
- Day #9 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Easy Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Day #10 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: German Spritz Cookies
- Day #11 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
- Day #12 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes: Christmas Sandwich Cookies
Get your copy of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes Companion eBook
If you enjoyed the Christmas Cookie Recipes grab a copy of the 23 page full color 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes Companion eBook with BONUS Christmas Food Gift Recipes .
This limited edition 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes companion eBook will only be available for the next 7 days! Grab your copy now!
If you love easy & amazing recipes join the Flour On My Face Newsletter and get each of my new recipes delivered right to your inbox.
Ingredients and supplies needed to make Christmas Sandwich Cookies with Butter Cream Filling
- softened butter
- softened cream cheese
- granulated sugar
- pure almond extract
- pure vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- butter, softened for filling
- sifted powdered sugar for filling
- vanilla extract
- Wilton Sprinkles White Sparkling Sugar
- AmeriColor #119 Red Red Soft Gel Paste Food Color
- AmeriColor #111 Leaf Green Soft Gel Paste Food Color
- Americolor #110 Teal Soft Gel Paste Food Color
- Sifter or fine mesh metal strainer
- Glass mixing bowls
- Handheld Mixer or a stand mixer
- 1 1/2 inch Round cookie cutter & Square 1 3/4 inch cookie cutter
- 3 Piping bags or plastic sandwich bags
- 3 small piping tips
- Wooden Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- extra flour for dusting
How To Make Christmas Sandwich Cookies
Disclosure: Product links are affiliate links. Flour On My Face is a participant in the Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
There are many ways to make Christmas Sandwich Cookies. This sandwich cookie recipe is made with Cream Cheese Spritz cookie dough, rolled in sparkling sugar before baking and filled with a colorful butter cream filling.
The sparkling sugar gives the sandwich cookies a very festive look as they glitter under the lights.
- Step 1: Mix the Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies dough and chill. Ingredient below.
- Step 2: Roll the Spritz cookie dough out on a floured surface with a rolling pin and cut out small circle and square cookies.
- Step 3: Dip the cookies in a bowl of sparkling sugar (dampen one side with water if needed) and place the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet with the sparkling sugar side up. Poke a few holes in the top of each cookie with a tooth pick.
- Step 4: After filling a cookie sheet with the cut cookies place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill for at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Step 5: Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until just golden around the edges.
- Step 6: Place the baked cookies on a cooling rack and continue cutting and baking the cookies until you run out of dough. Make sure you cut an even number of cookies for each shape.
Tips for working with Spritz Cookie Dough
- Only work with one piece of cookie dough at a time. Leave the remaining cookie dough in the refrigerator.
- If the cookie dough gets too warm it will be difficult to roll the cookie dough, the cut cookies will be hard to handle and will easily lose their shape. Return the warm dough to the refrigerator to chill if needed.
- Chilling the cut cookies before baking help prevent the cookie dough from spreading and causing the cookies to lose their shape.
How To Make Christmas Sandwich Cookies Filling
Butter cream sandwich cookie filling is very easy to make. All you do is beat a few ingredients together and like magic you have the best tasting cookie filling ever. See the recipe card below for detailed directions where you can print the recipe.
- Step 1: Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Step 2: Sift the powdered sugar into a separate bowl.
- Step 3: Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract to the bowl with the butter. Beat on low until mixed in.
- Step 4: Slowly add the powdered sugar to the bowl and beat in. Once all the powdered sugar has been beaten into the butter increase the speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Step 5: Color the cookie filling with food coloring if desired.
12 Days of Christmas Cookie Recipes KitchenAid Mixer Giveaway
Enter to win a KitchenAid Mixer below.a Rafflecopter giveaway Print
Christmas Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Festive sparkling Christmas Sandwich Cookies are made with Spritz cookie dough and filled with butter cream filling that has been colored red, green and teal. These holiday sandwich cookies will be the star of your dessert table. Or make them for a cookie exchange or fill a holiday cookie can and share them with family and friends.
Cream Cheese Spritz Cookie Dough Ingredients
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Butter Cream Cookie Filling Ingredients
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temp
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- AmeriColor red red
- AmeriColor real green
- AmeriColor teal
- Follow the directions to make the Cream Cheese Spritz Cookie Dough and chill for 1 hour.
- Pour some Wilton Sparkling Sugar into a small bowl and set aside. Have another small bowl of water nearby if needed to dampen one side of the cookie to help the Sparkling sugar stick to the spritz cookie dough.
- Remove one portion of spritz cookie dough from the refrigerator at a time. Allow the dough to soften as you prepare your work area (just enough so you can roll it out on your work surface).
- Preheat oven to 350 F. if using light colored aluminum baking sheets. Reduce heat to 325 F. if using dark non stick cookie sheets.
- Line each of the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- See German Spice Cookies for more info on baking with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough and dust your work surface, both sides of the cookie dough and your rolling pin with flour. Roll the cookie dough out to 1/4 thickness.
- Using the 1 1/2 inch round cookie cutter cut equal numbers of cookies. Gently pick up a cookie. Brush or pat one side of the cookie with water. Place cookie in the bowl of Sparkling sugar and cover the damp side with the Sparkling sugar.
- Place the Sparkling sugar coated side of the cookie up on the cookie sheet. Leave about an inch between each cookie. Continue cutting and coating the cut cookies until the cookie sheet is filled.
- Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill while you roll and cut the remaining cookies to fill another cookie sheet. Remove the cookie sheet of chilled cookies from the fridge and place in the preheated oven to bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just golden around the edges.
- Roll and cut more cookies to fill a second tray of cookies while the first bakes.
- Repeat until all of the dough has been cut into cookies and baked.
- As you remove each tray of baked cookies from the oven set them on a cooling rack to cool. Cool all cookies completely before filling with the butter cream cookie filling.
Directions to make the Butter Cream Cookie Filling
- Beat the softened butter in a medium mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a separate bowl.
- Add about 1/3 of the powdered sugar to the bowl with the butter. Add the vanilla extract to the bowl. Beat the powdered sugar into the butter on low with a handheld mixer.
- Add half the remaining sifted powdered sugar to the bowl with the butter. Beat on low until it is mixed in.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar to the bowl. Beat in on low. Once all of the powdered sugar has been beat in increase the speed of the mixer to high and beat for about one minute.
- Divide the butter cream filling into three small bowl.
- To one bowl mix in 3 to 5 drops of the red gel food coloring.
- To one bowl mix in 3 to 5 drops of the green gel food coloring.
- To the final bowl mix in 3 to 5 drops of the teal gel food coloring.
- Be sure to mix well and make sure there are no streaks of the uncolored filling showing. Mix until the color is even.
- Place the piping tips into the piping bags.
- Fill each bag with the colored filling.
- Arrange the cookies on a cookie sheet with the flat unsugared side of the cookie up.
- Pipe the filling onto half of the cookies. Place a cookie without filling on top of one of the cookies with filling and gently press into the filling. Repeat with all of the cookies alternating the color filling you use.
- Makes about 38 sandwich cookies.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove about 20 minutes before serving.
- Category: Christmas Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 Cookies
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 14.8g
- Fat: 16.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.8g
Keywords: Christmas Sandwich Cookies recipe, Christmas Cookies, Sandwich Cookie Recipe, Butter Cream Filling