Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake
Every once in awhile I like to change things up a bit and share a gluten free recipe. Many people are living a gluten free lifestyle these days and I think sharing a gluten free recipe every once in awhile for those readers is a good thing. This Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake is so moist and delicious. The ingredients are readily available in most grocery stores.
Not only is this Pumpkin Cake recipe gluten free but it is also a Low Carb Pumpkin Cake recipe. This Pumpkin Cake recipe is baked in an 8 x 8 baking pan and when cut into 16 pieces each piece has less than 9 carbs.
For this recipe you will need almond meal. I was out but had some raw almonds on hand and ground them into homemade almond meal. If you can’t find almond meal you can grind about 1 cup of whole raw almonds in a blender. The 1 cup of almonds gave me a little bit more than the 1 2/3 cup called for in this recipe.
- 1⅔ cups almond meal
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½-1 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar *see notes
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons home vanilla extract
- Shift all the dry ingredients and spices into a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients until blended well.
- With a large spoon fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-36 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
This recipe would also make great muffins. Adjust the baking time (16-24 minutes) accordingly if making muffins.