Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Disclosure: This Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake recipe is a sponsored post.
This easy Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake is an easy and perfect fall recipe. Now that apple season is in full swing it’s time to find some sweet dessert recipes using apples.
This easy Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake takes only 30 minutes of rising time thanks to Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast.
Baking with yeast doesn’t have to be intimidating. Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast makes it easy to make a delicious holiday dessert.
Have you ever checked out the Fleischmann’s® Bread World website? It is loaded with easy yeast recipes that anyone can make and even has an area where you can learn everything you need to know about baking with yeast.
The inspiration for this Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake comes from one of the easy yeast recipes on the Fleischmann’s® Breadworld website for a Beginner’s Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake.
I love making homemade coffee cakes. They are really a perfect dessert paired with a cup of coffee after dinner. I love to serve my guests a piece of homemade coffee cake after one of our dinner parties.
Back when I first started baking I would be filled with dread whenever I came across a very delicious looking recipe that called for yeast. Back then I would usually skip over that recipe and find another “easier” recipe that didn’t require yeast. Now I know how silly that was and realize how many really good recipes I missed out on for no good reason.
Baking with yeast isn’t difficult at all and there really are many easy recipes that call for yeast. as long as you can mix up the ingredients like any other recipe you can make a recipe that calls for yeast.
I’m going to show you just how easy it is to make this Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake recipe with step by step photos.
How to make a Streusel Coffee Cake with yeast.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the full Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake recipe and print option.
Gather the ingredients together.
Measure the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Warm the water and oil in the microwave until it is very warm to the touch. Add the water, oil, egg and vanilla to the bowl of dry ingredients.
Beat for two minutes on medium.
Add the remaining flour to the bowl.
Beat the coffee cake batter for another 2 minutes.
Grease a 8×8 baking dish with solid shortening and spread the batter into the pan. Cover with a clean dish towel.
So far so good. There is not much difference between this coffee cake recipe with yeast than any other recipe is there? If you have never baked with yeast now you know just how easy it really is.
Now this is the point in this yeast recipe when we have to let the dough rise. Since we’ve used Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast our dough will double in size in about 30 minutes. If your kitchen is drafty or cold place the baking dish in a warm area out of drafts. You could put it inside a microwave oven or in a cold oven. My kitchen is pretty warm so I just left the pan on the counter.
While the dough is rising prepare the apples and streusel topping.
How to make a Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- Mix all of the dry streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces.
- Add butter to the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or your hands.
- Set aside streusel topping.
Prepare the apples by squeezing the juice of 1/2 a lemon into a bowl.
Peel, core and slice the apples into the bowl of lemon juice. Occasionally tossing to coat all sides of the apple slices to prevent browning.
By now 30 minutes should almost be up. If you placed your dough into the cold oven to rise remove it and place it on the counter. Preheat the oven to 350 F. degrees. Take a peek at the dough. If it has doubled in size you are ready for the next steps. If it hasn’t doubled in size replace the dish towel and let it rise for another 10 minutes or so.
Once the dough has doubled in size melt the 1 tablespoon of butter and add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Gently brush the melted butter and cinnamon mixture over the top of the dough.
Lay the apple slices over the coffee cake dough in a single layer.
Brush the apple slices with the remaining butter and cinnamon mixture.
Sprinkle the streusel topping over the apple slices.
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If desired drizzle a frosting over before serving. I’ve included the recipe for the frosting below.
I hope I’ve shown you how easy it is to bake with Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast. There is no need to be intimidated by yeast. This Apple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake recipe is perfect for your holiday dessert table.
For more recipes that use yeast check out the Food Network Holiday Baking & Dessert Recipes page.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 large apples
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- juice from half a lemon
- Streusel Topping
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- Frosting (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Mix 1 cup water, dry yeast,sugar and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the remaining water and oil. Microwave on high for 30 seconds until very warm to the touch.
- Add water, oil, egg and vanilla to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 cup of flour and beat another 2 minutes.
- Spread into a greased 8x8 inch pan.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the streusel topping by mixing all the dry ingredients in a small bowl then working the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or hands until coarse crumbs form.
- Set the bowl aside.
- Next squeeze the juice from ½ a lemon into a small bowl. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples into the bowl of lemon juice. Toss to cover all sides of the apple slices. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon.
- Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter and cinnamon.
- Arrange apple slices in a single layer over the top of the dough.
- Brush apple slices with remaining butter and cinnamon mixture.
- Sprinkle Streusel topping over the apples.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F. degree oven for 30-45 minutes until tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once cool prepare the frosting if desired and drizzle over the top.
- Cool before cutting.
There’s a sense of pride in sharing something you’ve baked from scratch. With
Fleischmann’s Yeast, you won’t be afraid to find your creativity in the kitchen or even get your apron a little dirty. Baking with yeast this holiday season can be as easy as pre-heating the oven. To find out more, visit foodnetwork.com/holidaybaking.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ACH. The opinions and text are all mine.