Crock Pot Chocolate Cherry Cake
In my quest to bring you a crock pot recipe every Friday I decided I had better try making something besides crock pot main course recipes. This week I am sharing this Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe.
By now it should be obvious that I love chicken crock pot recipes. I've shared more chicken crock pot recipes that any any other type of crock pot recipe but thats because I eat more chicken than beef or pork. So I am always trying to find new ways to prepare chicken.
This week I decided to make a crock pot dessert recipe. Honestly we almost didn't have a crock pot recipe this week. After a few false starts I finally managed to come up with this Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe.
Before I settled on this Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe I made an old fashioned crock pot peach cobbler recipe. It tasted delicious.
But it didn't look so pretty. That's the way it goes sometimes. Some of the best tasting recipes don't make for pretty food pictures. I may work on the crock pot peach cobbler again and see if I can get some pretty pictures next time.
The other day when I was in the grocery store I came across this box of Duncan Hines Decadent Triple Chocolate Cake Mix. The picture on the box looked sooo good. All of the Duncan Hines Decadent line is very good. The Carrot Cake is the best boxed carrot cake ever. I love carrot cake and recently posted this Old Fashioned Carrot Cake recipe that is awesome.
I know everyone doesn't like to bake from scratch and if you are craving a carrot cake but don't want to bake a carrot cake from scratch pick up the Duncan Hines Decadent Carrot Cake. You will thank me for it later!
Back to this Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake...........This recipe is a crock pot version of a dump cake recipe. I think I figured out the secret to crock pot dessert recipes while making this Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe. Hopefully I will have more crock pot dessert recipes for you soon.
This recipe is for the true chocoholic. It is rich and delicious. It has a cake layer and a gooey chocolate layer. The cherries are nestle under all that chocolate goodness.
How to make a Crock Pot Triple Chocolate and Cherry Cake
- You will need a box of the Duncan Hines Decadent Triple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 stick of butter melted
- ⅓ cup water
I made this recipe in a (affiliate links ahead) 4 quart crock pot. The smaller width of the 4 quart crock pot worked perfect with the amount of ingredients. I can't say for sure how well it might turn out in the bigger 6 quart crock pot. If you try it in the larger crock pot I would increase the cherry pie filling to two cans.
Also in the Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake mix you will find two packages........the larger one is the cake mix. The smaller one is the filling mix. We will be using the filling mix as the topping for this crock pot dessert recipe. It goes in at the end of the cooking time.
- Turn the crock pot on high to heat up.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the crock pot with cooking spray or wipe down with vegetable oil.
- Pour the cherry pie filling in.
- Sprinkle the larger package of cake mix over the cherry pie filling.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and drizzle over the cake mix.
- Place a double layer of paper towels over the top of the crock pot and place the crock pot lid over the paper towels.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- At 1 ½ hours mix the small topping package with ⅓ cup of water.
- Dollop the topping over the top of the cake.
- Replace the paper towels with dry paper towels and continue to cook for another ½ hour.
- Turn the crock pot off and let the crock pot Triple Chocolate and Cherry Cake cool.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired (optional)
Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines Decadent Triple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- ⅓ cup water
- Turn crock pot on high to heat.
- Spray inside of a 4 quart crock pot with cooking spray.
- Pour can of cherry pie filling in.
- Sprinkle the large packet of cake mix over the cherry filling and even out the top.
- Drizzle melted butter over the top of the dry cake mix.
- Cover the top of the crock pot with a double layer of paper towels. Place the lid over the paper towels.
- Cook on low for one and a half hours.
- After the 1 ½ hours are up mix the small package of cake filling with ⅓ cup water.
- Dollop the filling on top of the cake mix.
- Replace the damp paper towels with new dry paper towels and turn the heat down to low for 30. Cook 30 minutes for the topping to melted.
- Turn the crock pot off and cool before serving. Add a scoop of ice cream or cool whip (optional).
Looking for more crock pot recipes? Head over to my Crock Pot Recipe page where you can find all my crock pot recipes conveniently located on one page! Over 140 easy Crock Pot Recipes for busy moms!
do you have a recipe using real cake?
I am not sure what you mean by "real cake". Do you mean a cake made from scratch? If so then no I am sorry I don't.
Yes, I did mean a cake meant from scratch. So many of these yummy-sounding recipes use mixes. There are still some of us who prefer the texture and taste of a real cake instead of a mix.
I hope you've had a chance to see the two new crock pot dessert recipes made with a homemade topping. Enjoy!
Looks delicious, love it chocolate and cheery can never go wrong. thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning, tweeting and sharing in google plus.
Thank you Swathi!