Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup is a delicious way to enjoy fresh sweet potatoes. Making Crock pot soup recipes is an easy way to enjoy the flavors of fresh in-season vegetables all year long, like sweet potatoes.
You could substitute any fresh winter squash you might have on hand for the sweet potatoes.
How To Make Roasted Vegetable Soup
Have you ever made roasted vegetables? You know how good they taste? Roasted vegetables taste awesome.
The high heat from the oven takes the natural sugars of any vegetable and turns them into a deep mouthwatering flavor you just can't get from cooking vegetables any other way.
Roasted vegetables can be added to your favorite soup and stew recipes to add more flavor.
It is easy to roast all types of vegetables.
All you do is scatter your prepared vegetables over a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper then roast in a hot oven until soft and slightly charred.
I used roasted sweet potatoes, onion, a leek, and roasted garlic in this Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup.
Roasted Garlic is a so good and will enhance any soup or stew recipe you add it to.
If you like you could also roast some baby potatoes along with the vegetables I have used and add them to this Chicken Sweet Potato Soup recipe.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup is just as easy to make as all your other crock pot soup recipes but with one extra step.
You'll need to roast the sweet potatoes and other vegetables before adding them to the crock pot.
Start off by cooking the boneless chicken breasts on high in the chicken stock with the herbs while you are roasting the vegetables.
It takes about 30 minutes to roast the number of vegetables I used for this soup recipe.
Once the vegetables are done roasting set them aside while the boneless chicken is slow cooking for about 2 hours.
If the boneless chicken breasts are very big it will take longer to cook them in the crock pot.
Two medium pieces of boneless chicken will be done in 2 hours on high. 3 to 4 hours on low.
When the chicken is done cooking shred the meat and add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot and cook on high for 2 more hours on high or on low for 4 hours.
Helpful tips to make Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- Any combination of vegetables could be roasted and added to this crock pot soup recipe. Baby potatoes can be added to the mix if you like.
- Fresh kale or baby spinach leaves can be added right before serving to add a healthy dose of greens.
Helpful Products to make Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- 7-Quart Crock Pot Slow Cooker: The 7-quart crock pot was the perfect size crock pot for this recipe
- Large baking sheet: A large baking sheet is the best to use when roasting vegetables. This way there is room to spread the vegetables out allowing the edges to brown.
- Vegetable Peeler: A sharp vegetable peeler is a must when peeling fresh sweet potatoes
- Metal Spatula: A thin metal spatula works best when tossing the roasted vegetables as they roast. Also makes it easy to transfer the vegetables to the crock pot.
- Metal Soup Ladle: Serving soup is so much easier and will prevent spills when filling bowls.
Print the Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup recipe below
Crock Pot Chicken Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 to 2 lbs boneless chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled
- 1 leek
- 1 small onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 15.5 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the chicken, broth, thyme, bay leaf, and ground pepper in the crock pot. Slow cook on high for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 F. degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet by pouring the olive oil on it.
- While the oven is preheating peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks. Slice the leek into 2-inch pieces, and cut the onion into wedges.
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Place all of the vegetables on the large cookie sheet. Salt and pepper the vegetables to taste then use a spatula to toss the vegetables to coat with the olive oil.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, occasionally tossing.
- Once the vegetables are soft and starting to char on the edges remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool while the chicken is cooking in the crock pot.
- After two hours or when the chicken is cooked through the center use two forks to pull the chicken meat apart.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the crock pot. Drain and rinse the can of black beans and add to the crock pot. Add the ground cinnamon, cumin, and chili pepper to the crock pot.
- Mix the cornstarch and water until lump free and stir into the crock pot.
- Replace the lid on the crock pot and heat for at least an hour to heat the vegetables and beans. You can reduce the heat to love and continue to cook for a couple of hours if need be.