When the hot weather sets in the only thing to do is make a delicious summer drink then sit back and relax.
If you are lucky enough to have a pool to lounge by or you are heading to the beach or park for a picnic you have got to stock up on those summer drink recipes.
What I love to do this time of year is create summer drink recipes that are easy to make and taste great.
Some of my favorite family recipes have been for ice cold summer drink recipes that I have thrown together on the spur of the moment and enjoyed by the entire family during the hot summer months.
I love a recipe that will work double or even triple duty. A simple base recipe like this one for a black cherry simple syrup can be turned into so many different drinks.
A homemade cherry soda, a cherry limeade drink or a cherry limeade party punch recipe can be made by starting with this black cherry simple syrup recipe.
Doesn't this Cherry Limeade recipe look beautiful in the new Ball Heritage Blue jars? If you are a regular reader you have seen the Ball True Blue limited edition Heritage jars here on my blog already.
They have only been available for a short time and they just can't keep them in stock.
Last week I saw them being sold individually at Walmart. I was in a hurry and didn't grab them. Today I went back and they were all gone! I should have grabbed them when I saw them.
How to make fresh Cherry Limeade
The first thing you will need to do is make a simple syrup by cooking some sweet black cherries in some sugar and water.
To make the Cherry Limeade Recipe as mentioned above you will need to make a cherry simple syrup.
Simple syrups are simple to make, hence the name simple syrup and open up the world of many homemade drinks.
- fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- granulated white sugar
- cold water
- frozen Limeade concentrate plus water
Step 1 Make the cherry simple syrup: Put 3 cups of cherries, 1 ½ cups of sugar and ½ cup of filtered water into a medium pot. Heat on low until the sugar dissolves.
Step 2: Bring to a boil. As it boils mash or crush the cherries. Boil for about 10 minutes. The syrup will begin to thicken slightly.
Step 3: Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Step 4: Once cool pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Press down on the solids to remove all the syrup. Transfer the cherry simple syrup to a glass jar or container.
Step 5: to make a pitcher of cherry limeade: Pour 1 cup of the cherry simple syrup, the limeade concentrate and three cans of water into a glass pitcher or a drink dispenser. Stir until the frozen concentrate dissolves.
Step 6: Serve the cherry limeade over ice in a glass. Garnish with lime or lemon slices.
Pro Recipe Tips
- Simple syrup can be refrigerated for a week to 10 days. Use as needed.
Love this recipe and want more like it?
Cherry Simple Syrup
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
Easy Cherry Limeade
- 12 oz can Limeade Frozen concentrate
- 3 cans water
To make the Cherry Simple Syrup
- Put all the ingredients into a medium pot.
- Heat on low until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Stir and crush cherries against the side of the pot.
- Carefully boil for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. If syrup starts to boil over decrease heat a bit.
- After ten minutes remove from heat and cool.
- Strain the solids out over a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Store in a mason jar in the refrigerator.
To make Sweet Cherry Limeade
- Pour lime concentrate into a 2 quart pitcher.
- Add 3 cans of water.
- Stir till dissolved.
- Add one cup of cherry syrup to the pitcher and stir.
- Serve over ice.
Recipe Expert Tips
- The Cherry Simple syrup recipe will make 2 cups of Cherry Simple Syrup. You can find a recipe for Homemade Black Cherry Soda and a Cherry Limeade Party Punch on this blog post below the Cherry Limeade Recipe.
- It takes about 30-45 minutes to make and cool the simple syrup before you can use it.