Delicious and very easy to make Crock Pot Chicken Burritos recipe with just a few ingredients.
As you know Crock Pot Chicken Recipes are my favorite food to cook in my slow cooker. It ranks right up there with my love of Mexican recipes.
Shredded Chicken Burritos
Shredded chicken for burritos is so easy to make in a slow cooker. This crock pot shredded chicken recipe with pinto beans can be used as a burrito filling, chicken taco filling, or for chicken nachos.
It is so delicious and easy to make. You can use this crock pot shredded chicken for just about any chicken Mexican filling recipe you like.
I love making shredded chicken burritos in my slow cooker. They are easy to make, only require a few ingredients, and Mexican recipe fans will be begging for more.
Chicken Burrito Ingredients
Chicken burrito filling is very easy to make because you only need a few ingredients.
- Chicken: We like white meat so I always use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Beans: I've used canned pinto beans.
- The sauce: Taco seasoning, salsa, and green chiles.
- Tortillas: Soft flour tortillas are the best for making burritos.
How to make Crock Pot Chicken Burritos
Crock Pot Chicken Burritos is one of those easy dump and go crock pot chicken recipes. Fill up the slow cooker and a few hours later you can serve dinner to your hungry crowd.
Step 1: Place the chicken, the beans if using (see notes for important info), the salsa and the can of green chilis in the slow cooker.
Step 2: Sprinkle the taco seasoning in.
Step 3: Use a large spoon or tongs to stir the taco seasoning into the liquids to break up the lumps. Flip the pieces of chicken around in the sauce.
Step 4: Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or high for 2.5 hours or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F.
Step 5: Once the chicken is finished cooking remove some of the sauce and save to top your burritos.
Step 6: Use two forks to shred the cooked chicken, mix the shredded chicken with the sauce and pintos beans.
Step 7: Spoon the shredded chicken into a warm soft tortilla. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the burrito filling and roll the tortillas up.
Serve with your favorite burrito toppings, like sliced avocado, sour cream, hot sauce and more salsa.
My family is a bunch of picky eaters. We each have our own way of topping our burritos, tacos or nachos.
So when I feed my family a Mexican recipe like these chicken burritos I will fill the warmed flour tortilla with the shredded chicken and sprinkle the burrito filling with shredded cheese before I roll them up.
I will roll all the burritos up at once and serve them on a platter to the family.
This way everyone can top their chicken burrito with the toppings they like and I don't have to worry about the food getting wasted because someone doesn't like sour cream or salsa on their burrito.
No. Chicken does not get more tender the longer you cook it like other cuts of meat. Chicken will dry out the longer you cook it. For moist and tender slow cooker chicken you should check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 F. degrees. The higher the internal temperature it goes the drier the chicken will be.
That depends on the thickness and size of the pieces of chicken you are cooking. Small thin pieces of boneless chicken like chicken tender size pieces should be cooked on low. Large thicker pieces of whole boneless chicken breast can be cooked on high without drying out as long as you cook them until they reach 165 F. degrees internal temperature. The smaller the pieces the faster they will cook regardless of whether you are cooking on low or high.
Recipe Expert Tips
- Chicken options: You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you like dark meat better.
- Beans: Beans are optional. You could use black beans instead of pinto or leave out the beans if you prefer. If you are not using beans you will need to add some extra liquid. Add 1 cup of chicken broth or water.
- Sauce: You can change up the flavor of the burrito sauce by making a few adjustments. For example use different flavors of salsa. A peach or mango salsa would add a sweet fruity flavor. Use hot chiles if you like spicy.
- Spicier burritos: If you like really spicy burritos add some pickled jalapenos as a topping or as you slow cook the burrito filling.
I love to top my chicken burritos with sour cream, sliced avocado and salsa verde. When I have quick pickled red onions I will add some of them also.
More readers favorite recipes you'll love
How to print, share or save the recipe below
Email questions or recipe requests to email@example.com. Follow me on Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram and Facebook.
Crock Pot Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 oz canned green chiles
- 1 envelope chicken taco seasoning
- 8 whole flour tortillas (warmed)
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Place the boneless skinless chicken into the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot.
- Add the canned pintos beans, salsa, and canned chiles to the crock pot.
- Sprinkle the chicken taco seasoning over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Use a spoon ot tongs to toss the chicken with the other ingredients in the crock pot.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or high for 2.5 hours or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperture of 165 F.
- When the chicken is completly cooked remove 1 cup of the liquid from the crock pot and save. Use two forks to shred the chicken and mix to combine with the other ingredients.
- Divide the burrito filling between 8 warm flour tortillas, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese over the burrito filling and roll the tortillas up.
- Serve with your favorite burrito toppings, like sliced avocado, sour cream, hot sauce and more salsa.
Recipe Expert Tips
- This shredded chicken and bean filling can be used for tacos, burritos, or taco salad.
Can't get enough of Crock Pot Chicken Recipes? Head over to my Crock Pot Chicken recipes page where you will find links to all of my Crock Pot Chicken recipes.
Because I know you love slow cooker recipes as much as I do head over to my main Slow Cooker Recipes page where you will find links to all my slow cooker recipes. Flour On My Face is the ultimate resource for easy crock pot recipes for busy families! Take a look around!
Seriously amazing flavor. Super easy. No difficult ingredients. Tastes like chicken from take out places. I wish I could give 10 stars!!
This is a nice recipe. The burrito wih some chorizo dices may be even tastier.