All You Magazine and 4th of July
Berrylicious Cupcakes in a Jar
Disclosure: This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and All You, but all my opinions are 100% my own. #lifeforless #pmedia http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO
Here we are in the last week of June already. The summer has just begun and I can’t believe the 4th of July is just a few days away.
I have been trying to come up with a great family recipe for our Fourth of July celebration. My niece is here visiting from Georgia. Her mother doesn’t do much baking so I was trying to come up with something really special for her. When I picked up a copy of the July issue of All You Magazine at Sweetbay a few days ago and saw the sweet looking recipe for Instant Strawberry Shortcakes on the cover of the July issue I had a great idea.
The cover photo made me think of cupcakes in a jar and since the 4th of July is almost here those Strawberry Shortcakes gave me a great dessert idea and I had all the ingredients except a box of cake mix at home.
All You magazine is available at many retail locations now
I was so excited to see this great magazine showing up on the magazine racks in many of the stores where I shop . It wasn’t too long ago when the only place I could buy an issue of All You Magazine was at Walmart. Now you can pick it up in almost all the grocery stores and the dollars stores.
It is one of my favorite magazines. Each issue is packed full of money saving tips, coupons and articles that I really find helpful to my family. There is always lots of easy and delicious low cost recipes in each issue.
Many of the high value coupons are for products I use already. I have already started implementing some of the tips in the Clean Your House Faster and Cheaper article in this months issue. I especially loved the shortcut for scrubbing the shower and tidying the fridge. Two place I hate to clean the most so any tips to make it go faster are very helpful to me.
I have also been wanting to start Yoga again and this issue is full of easy Yoga poses in the YES YOU CAN DO Yoga! article.
You can find the full directions with details below in the Ziplist recipe format
For my Fourth of July Berrylicious Cupcakes in a Jar you will need:
- mason jars
- a white cake mix & ingredients to make it
- cherry pie filling
- blueberry pie filling
- cool whip vanilla frosting
- red food dye
- blue food dye
- a 12 inch plastic decorator bag with a large closed star tip (optional)
If you can bake cupcakes you can make this pretty patriotic cupcake dessert and impress your family and guests this 4th of July. It’s a little bite of pie and a little bite of frosted cupcake all rolled into one. As you spoon through the layers, each bite comes up with a different flavor combo from the top layer of blueberry pie filling, cool whip frosting and cupcake down to the bottom layer of cherry pie filling, cool whip frosting and cupcake.
At first I was going to use a cool whip topping instead of the cool whip vanilla frosting in between the layers of cupcakes and pie filling. I am so glad I didn’t and went with my instincts. The cool whip frosting is much thicker and firmer than the airy cool whip topping. It has the best frosting flavor. Try to imagine the flavor combination of cool whip topping combined with a very light, not overly sweet buttercream frosting. It is the best frosting I have ever tasted and it went perfect with the cupcakes and berry pie fillings.
How To Assemble the 4th of July Berrylicious Cupcakes and in a Jar
All you have to do is bake the cupcakes, cut them in half and layer the red, white and blue cupcakes and cool whip frosting with the cherry & blueberry pie filling.
This recipe or technique will make 24- 4th of July Berrylicious Cupcakes in a jar. They are perfect for your 4th of July backyard get together and will travel well if need be by placing a lid on the jars after adding the top layer of blueberry pie filling to the jar.
If serving immediately top the last layer of blueberry pie filling with a pretty swirl of frosting.
If traveling pack the jars in a cooler with some ice to keep the frosting from melting and the pie filling chilled.
Be sure to check out the current issue of All You Magazine for the great recipes and articles I mentioned. Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- Ingredients to make the cake mix
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1 container Cool Whip Vanilla frosting
- 1 decorating bag and large star tip (optional)
- AmeriColor red soft gel paste food dye
- AmeriColor blue soft gel paste food dye
- Make the white cake mix as directed.
- Divide the batter evenly into 3 bowls.
- Add 3-5 drops of blue soft gel paste food dye to one bowl and mix well.
- Add 3-5 drops of red soft gel paste food dye to one of the remaining bowls of batter and mix well.
- Leave the remaining bowl of white batter uncolored.
- 1 standard box of cake mix will make 24 cupcakes. filled the cupcake liners with each color of cake batter and bake as directed.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- To assemble the 4th of July Cupcakes in a jar.
- Slice a red, a white and a blue cupcake in half. Set aside.
- Add one half of a red cupcake to the bottom of a mason jar.
- Add about 1 tablespoon cherry pie filling on top of the red cupcake half.
- Add 1- 1½ tablespoons Cool Whip frosting.
- Add half of a white cupcake on top of the cool whip frosting.
- Now add another layer of cool whip frosting.
- On top of the Cool Whip Frosting add about a tablespoon of blueberry pie filling.
- Add half a blue cupcake and then another layer of blueberry pie filling. If you will be transporting your 4th of July Cupcakes in a Jar to your Independence Day Celebration stop here and cover with a canning lid.
- If serving immediately top with a pretty swirl of the Cool Whip Frosting and serve.