How To Plant A Florida Friendly Landscape
Gardening in Florida can be very different from gardening in any other state. If you live in Florida you need to know How To Plant a Florida Friendly Landscape. When I first got bit by the gardening bug I had no idea what I was doing. There was a lot to learn when I first start gardening and taking care of a lawn here in Florida.
I didn't realize how difficult it could be to take care of the plants I bought and planted. But once I found reliable resources on Florida gardening my black thumb turned bright green!
I had no idea how hard it would be to converse water while making sure my garden and landscape plants had enough moisture to survive the very hot and dry climate we sometimes have to deal with.
There is a ton of information out there if you know where to look that will get you on the right garden path and help you Plant a Florida Friendly Landscape that will help you conserve water in Florida lawns and gardens.
The University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science (UF/IFAS) is the best resource for information on any topic related to Food and Agricultural Science in the state of Florida. They have all the information you will need to make sure you are conserving water and still taking care of your garden and landscape correctly.
There is even a website dedicated to Florida Friendly Landscaping where you can learn everything you need to know about planting the right plants that will thrive in this very tropical climate that sometimes feels like a dry desert during a drought.
As dry as it may get we all need to conserve as much water as possible to protect our beautiful home state of Florida. Each resident has a responsibility to do everything we can.
Taking the proper steps to ensure that our personal gardens and landscape utilizes every tool we have at our hands to conserve as much water as possible is very important.
How much do you know about Florida Gardening?
To start you can take the Florida Friendly Landscaping quiz to see just how much you already know about Florida gardening. No mater how much you think know about gardening and landscaping in Florida I bet you will learn a thing or two.
Tips to help with Gardening and Landscaping in Florida
- Learn about your planting zone.
- Plant Florida Native Plants in your Florida landscape as much as possible.
- Plant plants that need very little water and can survive on just the amount of rain water they will receive.
- Read plant labels carefully. Keep in mind that full sun in any other state is not the same as full sun in the state of Florida.
- Plant landscape plants that thrive in the ecosystem in your part of the state and the ecosystem of your yard.
- Install timers on your irrigation system that use a rain sensor and a soil moisture sensor that will override your sprinkler system when we are in the rainy season. This will save you money and cut down on the amount of water you need to use to keep your lawn green.
For more tips on living green and water wise in Florida check out the UF/IFAS Living Green website for all the information you will ever need on Lawn Care and Irrigating your Florida Garden and Florida Lawn.
For the most up to date information on all things related to Florida check out the Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science website.
Do you have a tip on saving water in your Florida garden? Drop me a comment and let me know what tips you've got to help save water in a Florida garden or landscape.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of UF/IFAS. The opinions and text are all mine.