If you love juicy and tender Italian Sausages cooked with sweet bell peppers you will love how quick and easy it is to make this Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe.
Sausage and peppers pressure cooked in sauce make a great sausage and peppers sub sandwich.
These sausage hoagies are great for dinner or game day when the guys are watching the game.
A pressure cooker is an amazing appliance. It will cook food fast and have you serving moist, tender and perfectly cooked food.
- Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage Links
- olive oil
- an onion (you can skip the onion and double the amount of peppers used instead if you'd like.
- sliced sweet bell peppers: I used peppers I had in the freezer
- a little water
- tomato paste: to act as a thickener
- fresh or jarred minced garlic
- Italian Seasoning
- a jar of pasta sauce
Need a few more Instant Pot recipes to make your life easier? Head over to the Flour On My Face Instant Pot Recipes page for more easy Instant Pot recipes.
How to make tender Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Step 1: Measure a tablespoon of olive oil and pour it into the IP insert. Heat the oil on the saute setting. Brown the Italian sausage in hot oil on all sides. Remove the sausage and drain on a paper towel.
Step 2: Add the sliced bell peppers and sliced onion to the pressure cooker insert.
Step 4: Add the sausage, pasta sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Secure the lid to the pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes on manual.
Italian sausage with bell peppers in pasta sauce can be cooked in 10 minutes (actual pressure cooking time).
Step 5: Once the pressure cooking time has completed allow a natural release of steam for 8 minutes.
Carefully remove the lid and serve on large buns.
When I make sausage and peppers in sauce I love to serve the Italian sausage on a roll, top it with a couple of spoons of sauce and peppers then top it with shredded cheese.
Top the cooked sausage and peppers with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese.
You can also serve the Instant Pot sausage and peppers over cooked pasta or rice.
Can I freeze sausage and peppers?
Pressure cooker sausage and peppers are so good that you probably won't have any leftovers. But if you do have a few leftover sausage and peppers you can save them for another day.
You can freezer leftover sausage and peppers in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag for about a month.
How do you reheat sausage and peppers?
Reheating sausage and peppers is easy. You can reheat sausage and peppers in the microwave quickly. Just put the sausage and peppers in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute or until the peppers are heated through the center.
Or you can put the sausage and peppers into a skillet and heat them over medium-high heat until the sausage is heated through the middle.
More hearty instant pot recipes you'll love!
Instant Pot Facebook Group
Have you joined the Flour On My Face Just Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group? Come hang out with others who love their Instant Pot and like sharing their favorite IP recipes!
Print the Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe below
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- 8 whole Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 cup sliced sweet bell peppers
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 5 Regular Hot Dog Buns
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot insert and turn on the sauté setting. Place the sausage in the Instant Pot and brown on all sides.
- Remove the browned sausage from the Instant Pot and place them on a paper towel to drain Set aside.
- Add the sliced onion and sliced bell peppers.
- Return the sausage to the pot. Add the water, tomato paste, minced garlic and Italian Seasoning to the Instant Pot and toss together to combine.
- Add the sauce and the shredded Parmesan cheese to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on and make sure the valve is in the sealing position. Press the manual button and set the time to 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking time has completed allow a natural release of steam for 8 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lid.
- Serve on buns or over pasta or rice.
- Makes 5 servings.
Recipe Expert Tips
- Serve the sausage and peppers on a sub roll and top with shredded cheese.
- Serve the cooked sausgae and peppers over a bed of cooked pasta.
- Serve the pressure cooked sausage and peppers over a bed of cooked white rice.