Cool weather seasons are the perfect time for a big bowl of Chicken Gumbo Soup.
This chicken crock pot soup recipe is full of big chunks of chicken and vegetables.
This Crock Pot Chicken Gumbo Soup recipe has all the flavors of chicken gumbo-except okra.
I do not like okra...so I left it out.
If you love okra feel free to add some to this recipe.
Chicken Gumbo Soup warms the belly
This spicy soup recipe gets its gumbo flavor from Old Bay Seasoning.
It's packed full of flavor. Not too spicy and not lukewarm either.
If you love extra spicy gumbo add another teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning.
I think I mentioned a time or two that my family is a little wimpy when it comes to spicy food.
I went light on it for their benefit.
If you don't want to spice up the entire crock pot of chicken gumbo you could just sprinkle a little extra Old Bay Seasoning on your bowl as I have.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredient amounts.
- white or dark boneless skinless chicken , cut into 1 inch pieces
- bag of frozen onion and peppers mix, thawed
- canned stewed tomatoes
- minced garlic
- Old Bay seafood seasoning
- bay leaves
- cracked pepper or ground black pepper
- low sodium chicken broth
- cooked white rice
- Combine the boneless chicken, thawed onions and peppers, undrained stewed tomatoes, minced garlic, old bay seasoning, bay leaves, black pepper and chicken broth into a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Mix with a spoon to combine.
- Place the lid on and slow cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours until the chicken is cooked through and the soup is piping hot.
- Serve in a soup bowl over cooked white rice.
Crock Pot Chicken Gumbo Soup
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 14 ounce bag frozen onion and peppers mix
- 2 14.5 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper or ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Combine the boneless chicken, thawed onions and peppers, undrained stewed tomatoes, minced garlic, old bay seasoning, bay leaves, black pepper and chicken broth into a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.
- Use a large spoon to mix the ingredients.
- Slow cook on high for 2- 3 hours or low for 3-4 hours. Or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over cooked white rice.