Chocolate Dipped Christmas
Oreo Cookie Pops
Want a relativity fast and easy food gift that will put a smile on everyone’s face? Chocolate dipped Christmas Oreo Cookie Pops are all the rage these days.
You can make them for any holiday by simply changing the color of chocolate you dip them in and adding sprinkles, chopped up candy canes, chocolate or decorative sugar crystals.
You can make them for any birthday party theme you are throwing by changing the colors of the embellishments to match your parties theme.
Every Christmas I like to make homemade food gifts to give as a hostess gift or to close friends and relatives.
A few years ago I made chocolate dipped marshmallows for a Christmas Cookie Exchange and everyone loved them also but the marshmallow is unpredictable and likes to move around on the stick from the weight of the chocolate.
The Oreo’s took a little bit more work but handled so much better.
- 1-10 ounce bag white chocolate chips
- 1-3 tablespoons butter, Crisco shortening
- 1 package double stuff Oreos
- 1 package 4-inch lolli pop sticks
- sprinkles or crushed candy canes for decorations
- 1 disposable plastic pastry bag (optional)
- Twist the cookies apart and set aside the side without the cream filling.
- Cut out a sliver of the cream filling that goes to the middle of the cookie filling and the same width as the lolli pop stick. Discard the sliver of filling.
- Pour about ½ cup of the white chocolate chips into a a pastry bag or tall and narrow plastic cup.
- Slowly melt the chocolate in the microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring each time or kneading the pastry bag when the the microwave stops until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Cut a small hole in the tip od the pastry bag. Run a thin line of melted chocolate down the center of the cookie filling where you previously removed the cream filling. Immediately push the lolli pop stick into the melted chocolate. Continue with all of the cookies. Remelting and refilling the pastry bag as needed.
- If you are not using a pastry bag just use a small spoon.
- After all the sticks are set into the cream center put a dime size dot of melted chocolate in the center over the lolli pop stick. Immediately place one of the reserved cookies on top and push down shifting the top cookie evenly over the bottom cookie. Set aside. Continue until all the cookies are back together.
- Allow the chocolate to set, about 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips in a tall and narrow plastic cup using some butter, oil or Crisco to thin the melted chocolate to a nice dipp-able consistency.
- You can check out this post where I go into detail on dipping in chocolate How to Dip Cakeball Pops and the Secret to Dipping Anything in Chocolate
- Begin dipping each Oreo Cookie Pop in the melted chocolate laying them down on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Immediately add some sprinkles, crushed candy cane or non perils to the top of the cookie.
- Let chocolate harden at least 30 minutes or longer depending on the temperature in your kitchen. You can speed things up a bit by placing them in the refrigerator for 5 or 10 minutes. Be aware though that moisture can form on the chocolate. This will not ruin your cookie pops but they make for a better presentation with out the moisture.
- Slip each cookie into a lolli pop bag, tie a bit of ribbon or string around the stick for a pretty presentation.