Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
A big bowl of Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup is just what you need this winter. This easy homemade chicken and rice soup recipe is full of chunks of chicken, rice, and fresh vegetables in a delicious broth.
Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup is a perfect meal to serve when it is cold outside or your feeling under the weather. Chicken soup is a comfort food that will satisfy your hunger and warm you up at the same time.
If you love easy & amazing recipes join the Flour On My Face Newsletter and get each of my new recipes delivered right to your inbox.
Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup is made with a few basic ingredients that when cooked together make a delicious soup.
You can make a plethora of homemade soup recipes when you start with a few ingredients like fresh carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.
The herbs and spices are the important ingredients that add all of that delicious homemade soup flavor.
Dried or fresh herbs can be used to season the broth of homemade chicken and rice soup.
- fresh carrots
- fresh celery
- fresh onion
- minced garlic
- butter for sauteing
- ground black pepper
- dried parsley flakes
- boneless chicken: you can use skinless boneless white meat or dark meat
- bay leaves
- fresh thyme or dried thyme
- chicken broth
- Instant rice
Instant Pot Soup recipes are some of the easiest homemade recipes to make. The soup ingredients cook in the pressure cooker in less than 30 minutes. And 15 minutes of that time is cooking the instant rice in the broth after the chicken has cooked.
Step 1: Put the chicken soup ingredients into the Instant Pot inner pot. The instant rice will be added after you have pressure cooked the boneless chicken in the soup broth.
You can use leftover cooked rice instead of instant rice for this recipe. Just add it to the pressure cooker after the chicken has cooked instead of the instant rice.
Step 2: When the chicken has finished pressure cooking remove the bunch of fresh thyme if you have used it and remove the chicken from the Instant Pot. Shred the cooked chicken meat and return it to the pot.
Step 3: Stir the instant rice or cooked rice into the soup broth and recover the Instant Pot. The heat from the hot broth and the inside of the Instant Pot will cook the instant rice or heat up the leftover rice in 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 4: Serve the Chicken and Rice Soup when the rice is tender.
Need a few more Instant Pot recipes to make your life easier? Head over to the Flour On My Face Instant Pot Recipes page for more easy Instant Pot recipes.
Have you joined the Flour On My Face Just Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group? Come hang out with others who love their Instant Pot and like sharing their favorite IP recipes!
Print the recipe belowPrint
- 5 medium carrots sliced
- 2 small ribs celery sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken
- 3 large bay leaves
- Small bunch fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 to 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Instant rice
- Turn a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot on and press the Saute button.
- Add the sliced carrots, celery, diced onion, minced garlic and butter. Saute until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the whole chicken pieces to the Instant Pot. Add the bay leaves and fresh or dried thyme.
- Pour 6 cups of the the chicken broth over the ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is set to the sealing position. Press the manual button and set the pressure cooking time to 7 minutes.
- After the timer beeps alerting you that the pressure cooking has finished allow the steam to release naturally for 15 minutes. Then push the valve to the releasing position and wait for all of the steam to escape and the pin to drop.
- Carefully twist the lid off away from your face. Remove the bundle of fresh thyme if used to season the chicken soup.
- Use a slotted spoon or a kitchen tong to remove the hot cooked chicken from the pot and place it in a bowl. Allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes before shredding the chicken with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Pour the instant rice into the Instant Pot and stir with a wooden spoon. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock into place. Allow the rice to cook in the hot chicken broth until tender, about 15 or 20 minutes. See Notes.
- Remove the lid once again and stir the cooked rice into the chicken soup. If the rice has absorbed too much of the chicken broth add the remaining 2 cup and stir.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Do not press any buttons to turn the Instant Pot on after adding the Instant rice. The heat and hot broth trapped inside the tightly covered Instant Pot will cook the rice.
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 247
- Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 23.3g
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup recipe,