logo
Food Advertising by

Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce | Skinny Alfredo Sauce

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponEmail this to someoneShare on Reddit

Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce

A Skinny Alfredo Sauce

Easy Alfredo Sauce

This Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce recipe is my most popular recipe of all time.

If you made it and love it besure to check out the other two recipes at the bottom of this post using the same basic cream sauce recipe that everyone loves.

How to make homemade alfredo sauce

Easy Alfredo Sauce

Easy homemade fettuccini alfredo sauce made without cream cheese or half and half.

You could call it a skinny alfredo sauce.

How to make homemade alfredo sauce

When I was a child my mother would make a white sauce to go over vegetables.
She would make creamed spinach, creamed corn or pour the white sauce over Brussels sprouts.
I loved this homemade white sauce as a child and it’s probably the reason I ate vegetables like spinach and brussel sprouts as I was growing up. It is my most favorite family recipe.
One day a few years ago (ha like 12 years ago but who’s counting?) I was in the mood for some Fettuccini Alfredo but didn’t have any jarred alfredo sauce on hand and decided to make my own using the white sauce my mother made as a base.

At the time I had no idea how an alfredo sauce was made.  Years later when I looked it up I saw most of the recipes have cream cheese added and half and half or cream.  To be honest I prefer the way mine turns out much better. You could look at this recipe as a lower calorie alternative but you would never know it by tasting it. And by making it yourself you can season it to your own liking.

This easy alfredo sauce recipe makes enough alfredo sauce to cover 1 pound of fettuccini noodles. You can half it with no problem if you need to prepare a smaller amount.

You can half it and omit the parmesan cheese and use it as a cream sauce for over vegetables if you’re not in the mood for fettuccine alfredo .

Click the link to find more delicious pasta sauce ideas from Reader’s Digest.
Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo
 Ingredients
 1 lb box of fettuccini noodles, cooked
4 tbs butter or margarine
3 tbs flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 cups milk
½ to ¾ a cup of grated Parmesan cheese
or a parmesan cheese blend
You can use the powdered or fresh. I’ve used both. Adjust the amounts used if using fresh. Fresh is a bit stronger.
Start with ½ cup and taste before adding more.
Cook the pasta as directed on the box in salted water.
Start boiling the water about 10 minutes before you start making your sauce.
You want to have the pasta ready at about the same time your sauce will be finished.

To make the Alfredo sauce:

Add the butter, salt and pepper to a heavy, medium sized pot. Heat  over a medium heat.

You don’t want to use too small of a pot because you will be whisking the sauce as it cooks and thickens. If the pot is too small the sauce could splash and drip over the side of the pot making a big mess.
Once the butter has melted add the flour and whisk until smooth, removing all lumps from the flour.
Slowly pour the milk in and whisk until smooth again. Turn the heat up a bit to about medium high.
Add ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese, whisk until combined. Taste to see if the flavor of parmesan is strong enough for you. If not, add the remaining parmesan cheese.
Today I actually used a Romano & Parmesan cheese blend for my alfredo sauce. Continue whisking until the sauce has thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. The sauce will thicken even further as it cools. If it thickens too much before you can add it to your pasta thin it with a little pasta water or milk.
Drain your pasta and put into a large bowl. Pour the alfredo sauce over the pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated.
This skinny and Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce recipe is now available in the Ziplist recipe format for easy printing and saving. Scroll down to print the recipe.
Serve immediately with a crusty french bread or a slice of homemade white bread.
Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
This sauce is very versatile. You can make a cheese sauce by substituting the parmesan cheese with cheddar cheese.
If you like a little spice to your fettuccini alfredo sprinkle ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes in the sauce when you remove it from the heat.
You can also add some broccoli and cooked chicken if you like for another spin on Fettuccine Alfredo.
Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce | Skinny Alfredo Sauce

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 1 pound Fettuccine Alfredo
Ingredients
  • 1 lb box of fettuccini noodles, cooked
  • 4 tbs butter or stick margarine
  • 3 tbs flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • ½ to ¾ a cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  • or a parmesan cheese blend
Instructions
  1. Cook pasta while making Alfredo sauce, rinse well and set aside.
To make the Alfredo Sauce
  1. Melt the butter over medium high heat in a heavy bottomed medium sized saucepan.
  2. Add salt, pepper and flour to the pan. Whisk until smooth and the rue turns a pale brown.
  3. Slowly pour milk and whisk until combined.
  4. Add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, continue to whisk until cheese melts into the mixture and becomes smooth.
  5. Dip a spoon in a taste. Adjust seasoning and cheese if needed. If the Parmesan flavoring is too weak add ¼ to ½ more to the pot and continue to whisk.
  6. Continue to cook over medium heat, whisking until the sauce becomes thick.
  7. Once thickened remove from the heat. Pour over pasta and mix well.
  8. Serve immediately.
  9. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
  10. If the sauce thickens too much thin with a small amount of milk.
  11. Alternately you can reserve some of the pasta water to thin the Alfredo sauce if needed.

Disclosure: This blog post is brought to you by Readers Digest.ca. The recipe and opinions are my own.
cajun chicken, alfredo, fettuccine, pasta, chicken

Spicy Cajun Chicken Alfredo

Vegetable Medley with Cream Sauce

progressive dinner recipe, vegetable side dish recipe, vegetable medley, homemade cream sauce recipe

Progressive Dinner Vegetable Medley with a homemade cream sauce

Comments

1. i love alfredo! this look so good.
    your blog is so cute by the way.

2. Christine knapkins_com says:

Hey Arlene,

Your fantastic recipe has been choosen and we've created a guessing game with the ingredients. Congrats on being selected!! :)

You can view the game here –> http://www.knapkins.com/guess_games/236?source=blog

3. BigBearswife says:

looks really good!

4. Great recipe Thanks! I didn’t have cream cheese so this was the perfect recipe for what I had on hand, better without cream cheese and not as harsh on the stomach. Writing this one down for keeps ;)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Lex

• Thank you Lex I hope you enjoy it. I’ve never made alfredo sauce with cream cheese. Matter of fact I had no clue there was cream cheese in it. I love this recipe. Sometimes I add pepper jack cheese to it to give it a nice kick.

Arlene

5. Jellybean says:

This tastes delicious! No more store-bought Alfredo for me!

6. Tori McCroskey says:

My husband & I are Alfredo freaks. This recipe was so EASY and so DELICIOUS! Even my 1 year old son loves it! We will be using this from now on, thank you!

7. plaidjammies says:

Thank you So Much! I don’t keep a lot of extra things in the pantry….there’s just me…and I came home with such a yearning for fettucini. Your recipe was the only ‘quick and easy’ one that didn’t call for cream, whipping cream, or cream cheese…none of which I have around. It’s cold and blustery, I’ll soon light a fire, and get to sit it front of it..and the TV…and feel very blessed. I haven’t tried it yet, but from what I read above, I will love it. Thank you, again, so much.

8. This alfredo sauce is DELICIOUS!!! No more stuff in the jar for us!

9. Thank you for sharing this recipe (Homemade Alfredo Sauce) It is easy and sooooo delicious.

10. cjboatner says:

thanx for the recipe, can’t wait to try it, i’m going to use it as part of my stuffed bell pepper recipe. my boys will be super excited to have a new spin on dinner.

11. YAY!!!! I am happy I found this!!! I going to add cheddar to my kids broccoli , and they are gonna love this!!!! Thanks so much for this!

12. Great recipe. Thanks for the share. I added spinach and crushed red pepper and halved the pasta.

13. I just have to say I was looking for an alfredo sauce without cream cheese- I found the recipe on this site- the alfredo sauce was AMAZING! Thank you!

14. Christina says:

Thank you so much–the sauce turned out perfect! I have to admit, I thought it was harder to make than this. Your sauce is super yummy!

15. Kirsten says:

Thanks for the recipe! YOU SAVED MY SUPPER! I was in a panic when I realized I didn’t have any jarred sauce and then I found this recipe! I whipped it up (using soymilk and vegan butter but regular parmesan) and I got 2 thumbs up from my very fussy children!! Dead easy and delicious! I will never buy jarred sauce again!

16. Fantastic recipe. It was the first time I have made Alfredo, I am so glad I stumbled across this when I googled “how to”. This is for sure going in my recipe book for the future when I need it again! Thank you!!! :)

17. My son wanted Alfredo but had no sauce or cream. So found this recipe!! I love it!! I was so easy to make and tastes so much better!!! Thank you!

18. How many servings is this?

19. I was wondering how to go about warming this up the next day. I want to make for lunch to take to work and only have a microwave to heat things up there.

20. did a quick search for Alfredo sauce, came across this… didn’t realize how simple it really is! thanks! of course I had condensed milk not regular milk so I used it, and I thought I had Parmesan, but found out too late that I’m out (insert gasp here) so I substituted mozzarella cheese which needed over a cup to make it work… It was good though and I can’t wait to make it the right way, thanks again!

21. The easiest and yummiest sauce I have yet to find! Definitely saving this. Thank you!

22. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. My oven is broken so I can only use the cooktop so I had to use leftovers for dinner this evening. I wanted to make pasta with alfredo sauce. I found your recipe first and thought I woukd try it. I sauteed mushrooms, red peppers and left over bbq chicken, mixed them with your sauce and poured it over penne noodles. It was amazing. I will definitely be making it again. It was a huge hit. Thanks!

23. Oh and since all I had was K**** paremesan cheese, I used Monterey Jack instead.

24. This Alfredo sauce came out absolutely perfect!!! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was so simple to make and everyone loved it! Could I double this recipe?

25. THANK YOU for this! Stumbled on your recipe while searching online. We tried it and love it! Sharing with my readers! SO good! Thanks again I appreciate it!

26. Great Base Recipe! I knew Alfredo sauce didn’t have a LOT of ingredients so when I ran out of the usual pre-made pasta kits (you know…the famous blue box) my family knew it was game on because we’re not shopping again until EVERYTHING is out of the house! My daughter found 1/2 box of lasagna and thinkig we still had some of the jar alfredo sauce left suggested I just combine the two. After surveying the remaining contents of our fridge and doing a search for Alfredo sauce, I decided on a collard lasagna dish with your (modified) alfredo sauce recipe. The other recipes called for heavy cream so after another search I found you. The kids were like, “oh great…she’s at it again…another concoction.” It turned out GREAT! Everyone was pleasantly surprised (myself included) and requested to take the leftover to school this morning! Thanks so much.

27. Soooooooooooo easy & kid-friendly!!!! Going to throw in some garlic next time, cause that’s a favorite around here <3

Elk Grove, CA

28. Thanks a bunch. I left my cookbook at home when I moved out and I always made it this way. I love this recipe. I looked up fettuccine alfredo but could only find ones with cream, but this way is much better. Thanks again…

29. didn’t have cream either… i have some left over steak i’m gonna throw in it and some fresh garlic . trying to think of ways to use leftovers that usually get thrown away. thanks for this recipe definitely saving it :)

30. Thank you! This is how myy mom makes it& couldn’t remember the exact amounts & like others didnt have the wierd stuff like cream or cream cheese in the other recipes on hand. Thanks for saving the day!

31. I have To say that this recipe was amazing and do simple. I really wanna thank you.

32. I love alfredo. I wonder if your sauce would work in something like Olive Gardens five cheese ziti. I have been trying to figure out how to recreate it but healthier.

33. a little garlic goes great with this recipe too!

34. kaoshavoc says:

Oh my goodness. This is amazing. I just could not stop eating it. I prolly put in a little more Parmesan than I should have, but after about 3 bites it transformed into something amazing. I mean the first bite I was like wow, that is the best I have had, just a bit too much Parmesan. Second bite I was like, ‘wow getting better.’ Third bite, I knew that I had not added to much Parmesan, I just needed to let the other ingredients put in their two cents. I put the full 2/3 cup in at first because it was all that I had left. Yes, it was the Kraft stuff in a bottle, still amazing. Now, I am going to go finish the pot :D.

35. I found your recipe about 6 weeks ago – and it quickly became a favorite with my family served over penne with chicken and mushrooms! We make it once a week – and again is we have company over!! I usually add about 1 tsp of garlic powder to the flour , and some dried parsley with the cheese for some green specs…. though dill would also be amazing too….
    Thank you so much for the fabulous recipes…. will try the spicy chicken one next!!

36. This recipe worked great for me and the result was great! I wouldve liked however that the time it takes to make the sauce and the number of servings would be mentioned

37. Naomi Harris says:

Thanks for the recipe. Taste great my family loves it

38. wow! ive just tried this recipe as a QUICK fixed! i wanted to make pasta alfredo because there wasnt anything at home and i had to heavy cream or cream cheese as stated in other recipes, so i opted to try this one! very tasty!!! will definitely be making this again!

39. I have to tell you this is the best Alfredo sauce I’ve ever made! And the easiest! My family is in love! Thank you for sharing <3

40. too much salt, why is it when I try the recipe , there is always too much salt, everything else is perfect

41. I have been looking for a lower calorie Alfredo sauce recipe. This one definitely looks like it’s a keeper!

42. Just had to tell you… I have used this recipe twice and it is FOOLPROOF. I am not a big cook and this turned out perfectly. So easy and delicious. Thank you very much for sharing.

43. absolutely delicious! i halved the recipe and made it in the microwave (taking care to remove and whisk regularly, every 45 sec or so), and while it likely took a little longer, it came out just fine. i used grated romano, and didn’t cut the salt back enough, but it was still delicious.
    thanks for posting: it’s now my default alfredo sauce!

44. Love it !!!! I just love finding new recipes and digging through the house to see if i got everything to make it. Sure did this time, just got done making it .its awesome !

45. Just want to say thank you for posting this! It’s so easy and convenient, this is our go-to Alfredo sauce recipe now. (Bow-tie pasta is the kids’ favorite though.) For our family of five, I think it’s more economical than buying jars (based on the ladles of sauce they pour on their pasta). Definitely tastier and more versatile! I couldn’t stop dunking my garlic bread in it today! Thank your mom for us!

46. Antoinette says:

I never do reviews on recipes I find online, but I’ve got to say, this is hands down the best Alfredo recipe ever and I’ve tried dozens! Well done! Thank you for such a great recipe. This is definitely a keeper!

• Antoinette

Thank you so much! I am so happy you loved the recipe. I made it myself again Thursday night for dinner. I love it. Added a little ground red pepper to this time to add a nice little zing to it.

47. Just tried this recipe today and I loved it. I didnt have any parmesan cheese as i am greek and we use another kind of cheese called mitzithrha, so I used that instead and also added in some garlic as we greeks love garlic and add it in just about everything.. Anyhow It was oh sooo yummy and so easy. Definately going to be making this again. These are ingredients I always have in my fridge so its perfect. Thank you so much for sharing!

48. Sherri says:

I am going to be trying this tonight with my Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed shells, The recipe I currently use has more ingredients, heavy cream, milk, butter, Parm/Romano, garlic, 1-2 doz of egg yolks depending on amount I am making. It will be nice to cut down the ingredients for a quick sauce! I will def. keep the garlic in mine though, I love the taste it gives. Thanks for a quick and easy recipe!

49. We are trying this today. I cant wait. Every other recipe requires so much more and you have great reviews. I have been looking for a good Alfredo recipe.

50. Damalis Martinez says:

I tried this recipe for the 1st time in December 2013. I have had Alfredo sauce in every way… cream cheese, heavy cream, half and half, in the jar. However, since this recipe this is the way I make it now and prefer it. Thanks a billion.

51. I made this sauce tonight to toss with chicken and bacon filled ravioli and it was perfect! Cut the recipe in half, since it was a meal for two, and it still turned out lovely. Thank you!

52. Found & made this recipe last night and it was a huge hit!! So easy and so delicious. My picky kids (and husband) inhaled it :) Will make it again many times I’m sure! Thank-you

53. I have to tell you my husband has been craving fettuchini Alfredo but we didn’t want to use the jar kind. He found this and we tried it last night with on hand ingredients. SO GOOD! As good as or better than olive garden because it also didn’t make me regret eating it later lol!

We didn’t half it for the two of us so we have left over. what is your suggestion for reheating?

• Tori

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. When I reheat it I add a little milk and heat it up in the microwave adding more milk until I get the consistency that I want.

54. Eddie Flores says:

That was quick and simple. My 13 year daughter is very picky and she said that it tasted better then the store brand. I poured it over tilapia fish and bowtie noodles. Thanks for such an easy recipe.

55. This was really easy and really tasty! I will definitely be making this again.

56. So, I really wanted to make this, but needed it to be gluten free. I had some tapioca flour on hand and used it and it worked! The sauce is AMAZING! I also sauteed some garlic cloves in olive oil and added them in—drool….. :D

Trackbacks

1. […] The recipe below has been adapted from the “Skinny” Alfredo Sauce recipe found on Flour On My Face to include the chicken and mushrooms.  Hope you […]

2. […] Easy Alfredo Sauce  //  Flour On My Face […]