Crock Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes
Easy Southern Style Candied Sweet Potatoes recipe made in a crock pot slow cooker is a family favorite holiday side dish recipe. Fresh sweet potatoes dripping in a sweet cinnamon sauce covered in marshmallow is the best holiday sweet potato recipe you'll ever make.
Follow Flour On My Face on Pinterest
Make the Sauce
Place the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg into a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Once the syrup starts to boil cook for 3 minutes.
Remove pot from the heat and set aside.
Place half the sliced sweet potatoes into the bottom of a 6 or 8 quart crock pot.
Pour half the syrup over the sweet potatoes.
Layer the remaining sliced sweet potato in the crock pot.
Pour remaining syrup over the sweet potato slices.
Fold a triple layer of paper towels and place over the top of the crock pot. Place lid on crock pot and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until fork tender.
Once the sweet potatoes are fork tender uncover the crock pot and remove the damp paper towels and discard. Spread the mini marshmallows over the top of the sweet potato slices.
Replace lid and turn the crock pot on warm. Serve once marshmallows are melted. Sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the marshmallows if desired.
Keep warm if not serving immediately.
Serve with your holiday ham.
Ingredient tips & substitutions
Recipe Expert Tips
- sweet potatoes: Use fresh unbruised sweet potatoes.
- butter: salted butter can be used in place of the unsalted.
- brown sugar: dark brown sugar will result in a better color
- corn syrup: white corn syrup is usually used but of all you have on hand is dark corn syrup you can use it instead.
- spices: I like using fresh grated nutmeg. It has a stronger flavor than ground nutmeg powder. Use the same amount of ground nutmeg if that is all you have.
- marshmallow topping: mini marshmallows will melt faster. You can use large marshmallows that have been cut into pieces as a substitute.
- Paper towels: This is a trick to keep the condensation from dripping into the slow cooker and thinning the syrup.
- Sweet Potatoes: Do not use canned sweet potatoes! Canned sweet potatoes will not work for this recipe because they are already cooked and soft. They will turn to mashed sweet potatoes.
- Cooking times: Cooking time will vary. It will depend on how full the crock pot is and how thick you have cut the fresh sweet potatoes.
Serving: 1Bowl | Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 98mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 60g | Vitamin A: 16324IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg
Share a picture on Instagram and tag @flouronmyface2