Old Fashioned Carrot Cake with Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
Old Fashioned Carrot Cake Recipe brings back Easter memories shared with a grandma when Carrot Sheet Cake would be on the dessert menu.
Follow Flour On My Face on Pinterest
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
In a separate large bowl beat the eggs and oil for 1 minute.
Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add the vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
Fold the grated carrots into the egg mixture.
Fold half the flour mixture into the egg mixture until combined.
Fold remaining flour in.
Beat batter for 1 minute.
Pour into a prepared 9 x 13 baking pan.
Bake for 25-35 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
Add vanilla extract and beat for one minute on high.
Add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Frost the cake and sprinkle walnuts over the top.
Expert tips to make a perfect carrot cake
- Grating or shredding carrots for carrot cake: The best homemade carrot cake uses finely grated carrot pieces. Use the smallest side of a box grater or use a fine shredder like you would use to shred hard cheese or to zest citrus.
- Cake leavening agent: Use fresh baking soda that has no expired. The baking soda is the leavening agent use to help the cake rise. If the baking soda is expired the cake may not rise.
- Cake pans: This recipe is made in a sheet pan. You can also use two 8 inch round cake pans to make a layer cake.
- Make a moist carrot cake: Overbaking is the number one cause for a dry carrot cake. Start checking the carrot cake 15 minutes before the suggested baking time is up.
- Storing: Cover the cake pan loosely with aluminum foil and refrigerate until serving. Cream cheese frosting needs to be refrigerated.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 360mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 3599IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg
Share a picture on Instagram and tag @flouronmyface2