Strawberry Sponge Pie Recipe
Strawberry Sponge Pie has a light and airy filling, hence the name sponge pie.
This old fashioned Pennsylvania Dutch sponge pie recipe is made with strawberries instead of the more common Lemon Sponge Pie.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-quart strawberries (I used 4 cups sliced strawberries)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.degrees.
- If making a homemade pie crust prepare the pie crust before beginning and place the pie plate on a cookie sheet in the refrigerator to keep chilled until needed.
- Rinse the strawberries with cold water. Hull the strawberries and slice. In a large bowl mix the strawberries with the sugar, and flour. Toss to evenly coat the strawberries.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks with a fork and add the milk, beating to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the strawberries and gently fold to combine.
- Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the strawberry mixture until combined.
- Carefully pour the pie filling into the pie crust. If you have filling leftover after the pie crust is filled you may bake the remaining filling in ramekins with the pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is no longer jiggly.
- Remove the baked pie from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Makes 8 servings.
The original recipe says to bake slowly for half an hour. The upper part will be like sponge cake: the remainder like strawberry pie.
- Category: Vintage Recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Pennsylvania Dutch
- Calories: 253
Keywords: Strawberry Sponge Pie Recipe, Old Fashioned Sponge Pie, Amish Sponge Pie, Pennsylvania Dutch Sponge Pie