Homemade Ice Cream is one summer time pleasure I can’t live without. This Toasted Coconut Ice Cream is creamy and rich.
- One 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk about 1 2/3 cups
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, separated
- 5 egg yolks
- Toast 1/4 cup of the sweetened coconut in a dry frying pan, until golden brown.
- Heat the milk, coconut milk, heavy cream and remaining cup of shredded coconut until bubbles form around the edges of the pot.
- While the milks are heating beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
- Once the milks have formed a line of bubbles around the inside edge of the pot remove it from the heat and strain the shredded coconut out. Discard the coconut.
- Temper the egg yolks by drizzling 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks while whisking. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of hot milk mixture. Now it is safe to pour the remaining hot milk mixture into the bowl of yolks with out the yolks cooking.
- Whisk for about 1 minute and strain through a fine mesh strainer into the pot you cooked the milks and whipping cream in.
- Return the pot to the heat and cook the custard base until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Test for doneness by running your finger through the custard. If a trail remains your custard is done. If not continue cooking and check again after 5 minutes.
- When your custard is done remove the pot from the heat and pour the custard into a bowl, preferably one with a pouring spout. If using an ice cream maker it will make pouring the ice cream base into it much easier.
- Allow your ice cream base to cool on the counter to room temperature. Once cool cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 – 2 hours.
- When the ice cream base has chilled completely churn in an ice cream maker per manufactures instructions.
- Five minutes before your ice cream is finished add the 1/4 of toasted coconut and continue churning.
- Place ice cream in an airtight container and freeze overnight.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 610
Keywords: coconut ice cream, homemade ice cream, churned ice cream recipe