Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting Recipe for your party cakes and cupcakes. This sweet and creamy homemade buttercream frosting is the best homemade frosting when you are decorating cupcakes or cakes for special occasions.
- 4 large egg whites (use pasteurized eggs)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3 sticks butter, cut into cubes, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or flavoring of choice
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator and while it is still cold cut into cubes with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Separate the yolks from the whites of the eggs into a small bowl. Discard the yolks.
- Place the egg whites, 1 cup of granulated sugar and a pinch of salt into a metal bowl that will nest inside one of your pots.
- Put about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Nestle the bowl of egg whites, sugar and salt on top the pot. You want the bowl to sit just above the water.
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar constantly. Do not stop whisking and do not walk away or the egg whites will cook and scramble ruining the recipe. Whisking will help the sugar and salt dissolve and keep the egg whites from getting too hot and cooking.
- Continually whisk until the egg whites have reached 140 F. degrees.
- Once the temperature of the egg whites has reached 140 F. degrees remove the bowl from the top of the pot and place the bowl on the counter.
- Use a hand-held mixer in the same bowl or pour the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the wire attachment.
- Beat the egg whites on high until cooled and stiff peaks have formed, about five minutes.
- Next, with the paddle attachment if using a stand mixer or the same beater blades if using a handheld add 1/3 of the cubed and softened butter to the bowl.
- Beat on high until all of the cubed butter has been incorporated into the meringue.
- Repeat adding 1/3 of the butter to the bowl and beating it in until all of the butter has been beat into the meringue.
- Add the extract and any gel food coloring you might be used to the bowl and beat on low until combined well with no streaks of color.
- Increase the speed of the mixer to high and beat the meringue frosting until the frosting is fluffy.
- It may take from 2 minutes to 5 minutes or longer depending on how soft the butter was.
- If frosting cooled cupcakes immediately fit a piping tip on a 16 or 18-inch decorator bag, fill it with frosting and decorate the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles if using so they adhere to the softened buttercream frosting.
- Refrigerate the frosted cupcakes until serving.
- Will frost 24 cupcakes.
Can be made up to a week ahead of time and refrigerated. If refrigerated allow to reach room temperature on the counter before using.
You can also quickly beat the room temperature frosting to add volume to the frosting after refrigeration.
- Category: Frosting Recipe
- Method: Beaten
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 8.4
- Fat: 11.5
- Carbohydrates: 8.4
Keywords: Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting recipe, Meringue Buttercream, Homemade Cupcake Frosting Recipe, Homemade Frosting recipe