This Sweet and Savory Stuffed Shells recipe has a secret sweet ingredient. You’ll have to read the ingredient list to find out what it is.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 25 oz. jar Butternut Squash pasta sauce
- 12 oz. box large shell pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed well
- 1 large egg
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided in half
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black, pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees.
- Remove the casing from the sausage and brown in a skillet. Break the sausage into crumbles as it cooks. Drain as much oil from the sausage once it is cooked through.
- Place the cooked sausage in a sauce pan and add the jar of pasta sauce. Heat until simmering. Reduce heat and keep warm while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the large shells following the manufacturers directions for a baked dish. Drain the pasta and run cold water over the shells to remove some of the starch which will keep the shells from sticking together. Set aside.
- Divide the mozzarella cheese in half setting one half aside for topping the stuffed shells.
- In a large bowl beat the egg well.
- Add half the mozzarella cheese to the bowl, and add the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mix well to combine.
- Spread half of the sauce mixture into the bottom of a lasagna pan.
- Arrange the cooked shell pasta in a single layer in the pan.
- Fill each shell with the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Drizzle remaining sauce over shells and top the shells with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serves 6.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 906