After your holiday celebration and you have a bowl of left over candied sweet potatoes use it to make this Sweet Potato Bread recipe. Add some fresh cranberries for an extra punch of fall flavor.
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used some leftover Instant Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes. You could also use left over Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- 1 – 2 cups fresh cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and prepare 3 bread pans by greasing with shortening and lining with parchment paper. If making muffins line cupcake pan with muffin or cupcake papers or grease with shortening.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a handheld mixer cream together the butter and shortening.
- Add the eggs to the bowl one at a time and beat in. Scrape the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
- Next add the milk and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients. Beat on medium for about a minute until combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients folding with a spatula until well combined and the dry ingredients are moistened well. If small spots of flour are visible this is fine. Only fold for about a minute. Do not over mix.
- Makes 3 bread pans or about 48 muffins.
- Optional: To make Cranberry Sweet Potato Bread add 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of fresh cranberry to the batter before pouring into the bread pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes checking the center starting at the 50 minute mark. Bread is done when center is firm.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool for about 5 minutes and turn the bread out of the pan and place on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm, toasted or cold. Wrap uneaten loaves with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Sweet Potato Bread can be frozen. To freeze Sweet Potato Bread first tightly wrap the loaf in plastic wrap then wrap in a double layer of aluminum foil or place in a zip topped bag. Keeps well in the freezer for a month.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 276