Homemade Sweet Dinner Rolls are the best tasting dinner rolls. They are tender with a slightly sweet flavor. You can make the dough in a bread maker or not. They are baked in the oven using both a bread maker instructions or the mix and rise method.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter
Sweet Dinner Roll Directions for Bread Machine
- Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup softened butter, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Knead and first rise cycle.
- When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cut that half in half and continue cutting each half in half with a bench scraper or knife until you have about 8 to 10 pieces.
- It will depend on how carefully you divided the dough, to begin with how many pieces you will get from each half. If you like to have all of your dinner rolls exactly the same size you can use a scale as you divide the dough to make sure each piece weighs the same.
- Form your dinner rolls by stretching each dough ball from around the edge of each ball and pulling it into the center at the bottom of the dough ball tightly. Place each roll on a lightly greased cookie sheet. You should get about 16 rolls from all of the dough. If not don’t worry about it. As long as the rolls are about the same size they will all cook evenly.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
Direction for Sweet Dinners Rolls in the oven without a Bread Machine
- Place all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to incorporate all ingredients.
- Measure milk, water and 1/3 cup of butter into a small bowl and warm in the microwave until the butter is melted about 20 to 30 seconds
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry. Add the egg and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is nice and incorporated. Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for about 10 minutes. Add flour as needed. Humidity affects all dough and you may need to add more flour. You want a nice elastic piece of dough. You don’t want it to be sticky. If after ten minutes it is still sticky sprinkle with more flour and kneads for another minute or two.
- Put dough into a lightly greased bowl and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Continue with step 2 above, cutting and forming your rolls.
- After the formed dinner roll dough has risen for about an hour and your rolls have doubled in size melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and brush over the rolls.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake dinner rolls in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Each oven is different. You should check out the rolls after about 10 minutes. If they are evenly browned they are done. If they are only lightly browned at 10 minutes bake them for another five minutes.
Prep time is an estimate and will depend on which recipe you make.
- Serving Size: 1 Roll
- Calories: 194