I am absolutely obsessed with strawberry balsamic recipes this winter. The sweet and tart flavors of fresh Florida strawberries with balsamic vinegar mixed into homemade creamy vanilla ice cream in this Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream recipe is a flavor combination you don’t want to miss!
- 2 cups fresh Florida strawberries, washed, cap removed and cut in half
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- Ice Cream Maker
- In a heavy bottomed medium size sauce pan whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until they become a pale yellow.
- Add the milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract to the sauce pan and whisk until combined.
- Heat on medium until it comes to a boil while continually whisking to prevent scorching.
- Slightly reduce the heat and continue to whisk the ice cream custard until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Once you can run a finger down the back of the coated spoon and leave a trail the custard is done.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat, place the ice cream custard in a container or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once room temperature cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator along with the balsamic strawberry sauce until well chilled, at least 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Once the ice cream custard has been chilled churn the ice cream custard in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s directions.
- After the ice cream has been churned scoop half the vanilla ice cream into a lidded container. Spread half the strawberry balsamic sauce over the top of the ice cream.
- Scoop the remaining ice cream into the container then spread the remaining strawberry balsamic sauce over the top of the ice cream.
- With a knife swirl the strawberry balsamic sauce into the ice cream. Cover the container with a tight-fitting lid and freeze over night before serving.
- Makes 1 1/2 quarts of Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream.
- Serve with fresh strawberries or alternately you can double the ingredients for the Strawberry Balsamic Sauce and reserve half to use as ice cream topping.
Special equipment needed: Ice Cream Maker
- Category: Strawberry Recipes
- Method: Churned
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrates: 31.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 6.3g