How to Make Sourdough Focaccia
Step by Step How to Make Sourdough Focaccia with a video showing how to properly knead bread dough for this sourdough focaccia recipe.
In a bowl, combine the following ingredients to form a sponge:
- 1–1/2 cups sourdough starter (always feed your starter the day before you are going to bake and stir before measuring)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup flour
Allow sponge to ferment and bubble for about an hour until bubbles of differing size are on top.
Add to sponge:
- Mix ingredients together and turn out onto a floured board, kneading for 5-7 minutes. Depending on the hydration of your starter, you may end up adding 1/4 – 1 cup more of flour while kneading. The dough will be soft and slightly moist from the oil and the kneading.
- Form into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.Once dough has risen, gently punch dough down and then place your dough in the prepared pan. Using a large, rimmed baking sheet or two smaller baking sheets, add 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil to the bottom of the pan, swirling to cover the bottom and sides.
- With your fingers, press dough into the bottom of the pan until it fills the pan. If your dough is very elastic and pulling away, allow it to rest for about five minutes and then continue.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise until roughly doubled in size, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once dough is ready, lightly dock dough with your fingers all over, leaving little impressions. If the dough is a little dry on top, brush on a bit more extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle with coarse sea salt (mine was not dry; extra olive oil had spilled over onto the dough when I pressed the dough into the pan so all I did was sprinkle with salt. You be the judge of your dough.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool in it’s pan on a rack.
- Serving Size: 1 wedge
- Calories: 440
Keywords: How to make Sourdough Focaccia, Focaccia video, Sourdough Focaccia recipe, Kneading Dough