Satisfy your pasta cravings with this Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese recipe made with steamed cauliflower, two cheeses and roasted peppers, onion and garlic.
- 1 head of cauliflower, steamed and cut into florets (or 4 cups frozen and thawed cauliflower florets) I used my (affiliate link) Instant Pot to steam the cauliflower.
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large roasted jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium roasted onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, roasted and chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese or Sharp White Cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Roast the vegetables following the instructions here. Place the hot roasted peppers into a container with a lid and allow to cool. Once cool remove skin from the peppers and chop. Chop the onion and garlic. Set the chopped vegetables aside while making the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add the flour, salt, pepper and paprika to the melted butter and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly pour half the milk into the pot whisking continuously until all lumps are gone. Add the remaining milk and bring the sauce to a boil whisking the entire time.
- Once the milk comes to a boil it will begin to thicken. Continue boiling on medium high heat for about 8 minutes whisking the entire time to prevent scalding. Remove the pot from the heat and stir 2 cups of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or Sharp White Cheddar) into the hot milk mixture. Once the cheese has melted set the pot aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
- Mix the cauliflower and roasted chopped vegetables together in a large bowl. Pour the cheese sauce into the bowl and gently fold until combined.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining Monterrey Jack cheese over the top. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Category: Low Carb Recipes
- Method: baked (roasted)
- Cuisine: American