Make a batch of Spiced Vanilla Peaches this summer.
- 10 cups peaches, peeled and sliced into 1/4th (about 20 large peaches)
- 13 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8–12 vanilla beans
- 6 medium cinnamon sticks
- 2–3 fresh lemons
- Prepare jars and lids per USDA canning standards.
- In a large pot put the water and sugar. On low allow the sugar to dissolve while slicing the peaches.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon into the bottom of a large bowl.
- Peel and slice the peaches into 1/4 ths putting the peach slices into the bowl with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Add more lemon juice as needed if peaches begin to darken.
- Remove about half of the water & sugar from the pot and reserve.
- Bring the remaining sugar water to a boil. Add as many of the peach slices as possible into the pot of boiling sugar water. Stir the peach slices for a couple of minutes until the peaches are heated through.
- Remove a pint jar from the hot water.
- Into each jar place 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 a cinnamon stick, 1 vanilla bean cut in half and split.
- Carefully ladle peaches into each jar. Fill each jar with the light syrup leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Remove all air bubbles by running a chop stick or similar non metal item around the edges of each jar.
- Wipe rim of jar with a damp paper towel.
- Place a flat lid and band on each jar. Set filled jars aside.
- Repeat as needed filling all of your jars until you run out of peaches.
- When the light syrup gets low in the large pot replenish with reserved syrup and bring to a boil.
- Process filled jars in a hot water bath for 20-30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 Pint
- Calories: 226