How To Make Sourdough Pizza Dough
Sourdough Pizza Dough is easy to make with sourdough starter or your sourdough starter discard. This pizza crust recipe will make enough dough to make 2 9 x 13 inch thin crust pizzas or two 8 or 9 inch thick crust personal pan pizzas.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 4-5 tablespoons olive, divided
- In a medium-size bowl mix the salt, into the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sourdough starter and 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the bowl. Using a wooden spoon mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until it forms into a shaggy ball.
- NOTE: If the dough seems very wet sprinkle with a little flour until it comes together and holds its shape. If the dough seems very dry and powdery drizzle 1 teaspoon more of olive oil and knead the oil into the dough.
- Knead the pizza dough using the heel of your hand in the bowl until it is soft and forms a ball, 5 minutes or so.
- Drizzle olive oil into the bowl and flip the ball of dough around so all sides are covered with oil. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm area to rest.
- Allow the dough to rest and slightly rise for an hour for quick pizza dough or up to 8 hours before forming into your pizza crust.
- At this point in the recipe, you can place the bowl of dough into the refrigerator for a slow overnight rise. The dough will rise slowly overnight and the sourdough flavor will have more time to develop. You can leave the dough refrigerated for up to three days before baking with it. You can also slip the dough into a freezer bag and freeze it to use at a later time.
How To Make a Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. degrees.
- Cut the ball of dough into two equal-sized pieces. If making deep dish pizza grease an 8 or 9 inch round cake or pie pan with olive oil.
- Place the ball of pizza dough into the center of the pan. Flatten the dough ball and using the heel of your hand to push the dough out to the edges of the round pan. If the dough springs back let the dough rest for about 5 minutes and then work the dough to the edges of the pan again. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of pizza sauce over the pizza dough and top with shredded cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- To make a 9 x 13-inch thin-crust pizza grease a low rimmed baking sheet or cookie sheet with olive oil. Place one dough ball into the center of the baking sheet. Use your hand and fingers to work the dough into a rectangle shape. Spread sauce and pizza toppings over the top and bake in the preheated oven.
- Bake the deep dish pizza for 9 to 12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and the thick dough is cooked through the center. Bake the thin crust pizza for 9 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly so the cheese firms up enough to cut the pizza into slices.
- If your oven has a proofing setting follow the manufacturer's directions and place the bowl in the oven.
- Turn your oven on to the lowest setting before beginning the recipe. Turn the oven off when it has reached the lowest temp and crack the oven door open. Put the bowl of dough into the warmed oven and close the door to rise.
- Place a bowl of water into the microwave and heat for 3 minutes. Quickly open the door, remove the bowl of water and place the bowl of dough inside the heated microwave to rise. Do not open the door for at least an hour.
- Turn the light on in your oven. Place the bowl of dough into the oven to rise.
- Nutrictional value is for 1 slice of pizza without sauce or topping.
- Serving Size: 1/16
- Calories: 93
- Carbohydrates: 17.9g
Keywords: Sourdough Pizza Dough, Sourdough Recipes, Homemade Sourdough Pizza