Recipe source: The recipe for Quick Pickled Red Onions comes from The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving: Over 350 of the Best Canned, Jammed, Pickled, and Preserved Recipes.
Quick Pickled Red Onions Recipe
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 cups 5% white vinegar (Please read the vinegar bottle and make sure it says 5%)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, or honey
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice (sometimes you can buy Ball Pickling Spice at Walmart and some grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt (Please buy pickling salt only)
- Thinly slice the red onion using a sharp knife or a vegetable spiralizer.
- Put 1 teaspoon of pickling spice in each jar.
- Pack the sliced onions into each canning jar or a recycled jar you have with a lid.
- In a medium-sized stainless steel or non-reactive saucepan mix the white vinegar, water, sugar and pickling salt. Stir until the sugar and the salt dissolves. Bring the brine ingredients to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the stove.
- Ladle the hot brine over the sliced onions in the jar.
- Use a canning bubbler or plastic spoon to push the onions down under the brine. You can pack more onion slices into the jar when the onions start to settle.
- Wipe the rim of the jar with a paper towel and place a flat canning lid on top. Screw on a canning lid band.
- Allow to cool to room temperature for about an hour.
- Refrigerate and store for up to four months.
- Category: Canning Recipe
- Method: Refrigerated
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- Calories: 6
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
Keywords: Quick Pickled Red Onions, Refrigerator Pickled Onions, Easy Canning Recipes, Canning Onions