Now that the weather has cooled off warm the bellies of your family with this creamy and hearty Macaroni and Cheese dish.
- 1 16 ounce box of Elbow Macaroni
- 1 16 ounce block of Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Cook macaroni as per manufacturers directions.
- Melt 6 tbs butter in a medium sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Slowly sprinkle flour over the melted butter and whisk into a thick paste, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour one cup of milk into the flour and butter, whisking to break up any lumps. Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Add remaining milk, continue to whisk. Turn heat up to medium.
- Cook sauce, whisking to prevent scorching for about five minutes or until thickened.
- When pasta is done cooking drain well and set aside.
- Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and stir into the bread crumbs.
- Assemble the macaroni and cheese by layering the sauce, cheese and macaroni in a baking dish or individual oven safe bowls.
- Top with breadcrumbs and bake at 400 for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the macaroni and cheese is bubbling.
- Cool about 10 minutes before serving. Makes about 6-8 servings.
- This recipe may be divided in half if you need smaller portions.
- Category: Vintage Mac & Cheese