This tasty Mashed Rutabaga recipe with roasted garlic and bacon recipe is a twist on my mothers basic mashed rutabaga recipe that she would make every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Mashed Rutabaga is delicious served along side roasted turkey or baked ham. It is a perfect alternate side dish recipe that can replace mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- 5 cups of cooked and cubed rutabaga (I used my Instant Pot Rutabaga)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup half and half, whipping cream or milk
- 1 head of roasted garlic, roasted cloves removed from the garlic skin (see my how to roast perfect garlic)
- 8 oz bacon, fried crispy and drained well on a paper towel. Roughly chop the bacon and divide in half.
- Place the hot cooked rutabaga cubes into a large bowl. If you are using cold or refrigerated rutabaga cubes heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Add the unsalted butter to the bowl with the rutabaga and beat with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds or until the butter had been mixed into the rutabaga.
- Add the salt, ground pepper and roasted garlic to the bowl and beat until combined.
- Add the half and half, cream or milk if using, to the bowl and beat in for 1 minute.
- Add half of the cooked bacon to the bowl and using a large spoon fold the bacon into the mashed rutabaga.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top of the mashed rutabaga.
- Makes about 8 half cup servings.
How To Boil Rutabaga on the stove in a pot?
- Peel, cut and cube the fresh rutabaga. Rinse well under cold water in a colander well.
- Pour the cubed rutabaga in a large pot and fill with water until all of the root vegetable is covered in water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Bring the uncovered pot to a hard boil. Reduce the temperature and continue boiling until the rutabaga is fork tender.
- Category: Side Dish Recipe
- Method: Mashed
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 493.5mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 33.9mg
Keywords: Mashed Rutabaga Recipe, Roasted Garlci Mashed Rutabaga recipe, Thanksgiving Side Dish recipe, Rutabagas recipe