Irish Soda Bread
Soda Bread is a homemade bread recipe that doesn’t need yeast to rise. The bread is light and fluffy on the inside while buttery and crunchy on the outside.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- Work the shortening or butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or your hands until pea-shaped pieces are throughout the four.
- Mix the buttermilk and apple cider vinegar in a cup and pour it into the dry ingredients.
- Use a stiff wooden spoon to mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Knead the dough a few times until it holds shape. Form the dough into a 7-inch round. Place the dough ball onto the greased baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife dipped into flour cut an X across the top of the dough.
- Bake the soda bread in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Brush the hot loaf of Soda bread with melted butter.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Makes one 7 inch loaf of bread.
- 12 servings.
- Calories: 117
- Carbohydrates: 20.4g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.8g
Keywords: Irish Soda Bread, Soda Bread Recipe, No Yeast Bread Recipe, homemade bread