How To Make Instant Pot Kabocha Squash
Cooking a whole kabocha squash in the Instant Pot is very easy. This Japanese winter squash is delicious and has a sweet nutty flavor with a hint of pumpkin and sweet potato. Once cooked you can use mashed Instant Pot Kabocha squash as a side dish or use it in any other recipe that calls for mashed squash.
- 4–5 lb Kabocha Squash
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Scrub the outside of the kabocha squash well under running water.
- Place a silicone rack in the bottom of the IP.Add the water. If using a 6 quart Instant Pot add 1 cup of water. If using a 8 quart Instant Pot add 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Place the lid on the IP and turn the vent to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button and set the timer for 20 minutes for a 5 lb kabocha squash.
- If pressure cooking a smaller squash reduce the pressure cooking time accordingly.
- For example if cooking a 3-4 pound squash cook for 15 minutes. If cooking a kabocha squash that is 2 lbs or smaller cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking time is done quick release the steam by sliding the pressure valve to the venting position.
- Remove the lid venting the steam away from your face.Allow the steam to dissipate.
- Lift the kabocha squash up with the silicone handles.
- Place the squash on a cookie sheet or in a bowl to cool.
- Once the squash has cooled enough for you to handle it safely pull the skin away from the flesh.
- Cut the squash in half and use a spoon to scoop the fibers and seeds from the inside of the squash.
- Scoop the cooked flesh of the kabocha squash from the skin and place in a bowl.
- Mash the squash and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Category: Instant Pot Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 2.5mg
- Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 1.8g
Keywords: How to make Instant Pot Kabocha, how to cook kabocha squash, kabocha squash recipe, winter squash recipe