- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- medium onion, diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium celery stalks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalaya salt or any salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper or 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup white Marsala cooking wine
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled, cubed and soaked in water
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 cup heavy cream, milk or half and half
- 3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons cool water
- Prep the onion, carrots, celery and garlic (if using fresh) before starting. Cube the potatoes, rinse well and soak in water until needed.
- Turn the Instant Pot sauté setting on and heat the oil or butter in the inner pot.
- Add the diced onion, sliced carrots, sliced celery and minced garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Turn the sauté setting off.
- Add the herbs and spices to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the pot and toss to coat with the herbs and spices.
- Add the cooking wine to the pot and stir.
- Place the whole pieces of boneless chicken in and pour the chicken broth in and stir.
- Twist the Instant Pot lid on and lock into place. Set the valve to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button on and set the time to 8 minutes. It will take about 20 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach full pressure before it starts the pressure cooking time.
- Once the appliance beeps letting you know it has finished the pressure cooking time allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Once 10 minutes has passed flip the valve to the releasing position. Allow all of the steam to release before twisting the lid off away from your face. Remove the lid.
- Remove the whole pieces of chicken from the Instant Pot and place in a bowl to cool slightly. While the chicken is cooling add the whipping cream to the stew and stir. Next add the corn starch and water slurry to the pot and stir. Add the thawed peas to the pot and stir.
- Press the sauté button to turn it on. Allow the stew broth to come to a simmer stirring occasionally.
- Shred or cube the chicken while the broth is thickening.
- Turn the appliance off once the broth is thick and creamy and add the chicken and peas to the pot. Stir to mix the chicken and peas into the stew.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.
- Makes about 8 one cup servings.
- Prep the onion, carrots, and celery the day or night before. This will cut the prep time down considerably.
- Cube the potatoes and soak them in cold water to prevent browning.
- Cooking wine will intensify and enhance the flavors.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs may be used.
- Half and Half or whole milk can be substituted for the heavy whipping cream.
- Frozen peas are best for this recipe.
- Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before cubing.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 448
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 915mg
- Carbohydrates: 53.7g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 33.4g
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Stew, 30 Minute Dinners, Chicken Stew recipe, Boneless Chicken Recipe