Instant Pot Chicken Barley Soup
Chicken Barley Soup is a rich and creamy Instant Pot soup recipe made with boneless chicken, fresh vegetables, herbs, and spices. Quick barley cooks in the soup broth quickly. Serve this delicious soup for lunch or dinner with crackers or crusty bread.
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 to 5 small or medium dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 64 oz chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup quick pearled barley
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Add the sliced carrots, celery, diced onion, and minced garlic.
- Add the dried thyme, ground pepper, sea salt and dried bay leaves.
- Pour the chicken broth over the ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is set to the sealing position. Press the manual button and set the pressure cooking time to 7 minutes.
- After the timer beeps alerting you that the pressure cooking has finished allow the steam to release naturally for 15 minutes. Then push the valve to the releasing position and wait for all of the steam to escape and the pressure pin to drop.
- Carefully twist the lid off away from your face.
- Use kitchen tongs to remove the hot cooked chicken from the pot and place it in a bowl. Allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes. With a sharp knife cut the chicken into cubes.
- Pour the cubed chicken back into the soup.
- Pour the cup of pearled barley into the soup.
- Add the dried parsley to the soup.
- Pour the corn starch slurry into the soup and use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients.
- Press the Saute button and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer the soup until the broth has thickened. Once the broth has thickened press the off button to turn the appliance off.
- Twist the lid back on the Instant Pot. Push the valve to the sealed position to tray the heat. Allow the barley to cook from the heat of the soup in the enclosed Instant Pot, about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the lid and check to see if the barley is done. If not recover and wait another 5 to 10 minutes. If the barley is done serve the soup immediately.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrates: 24.3g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 23.4g
Keywords: Instant Pot Soup recipe, Chicken and Barely Soup, Creamy Chicken and Barley Soup,