Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipe no-soak beans
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas recipe is a no-soak dried bean recipe that is packed full of smokey ham flavor with melt in your mouth black-eyed peas.
Black-Eyed Peas are also called Cowpeas and Black-Eyed beans. Black-Eyed Peas are a traditional Southern recipe eaten on New Year’s day that is said to bring luck in the new year.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 2 large bay leaves
- 3 cups diced ham or a leftover ham bone
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Melt the butter in the Instant Pot inert on the saute setting.
- Add the diced onion, diced carrots, salt and ground pepper to the melted butter and saute for about 3 minutes to sweat the onions (link).
- Add the minced garlic to the Instant Pot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the diced ham, black-eyed peas and bay leaves to the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken stock and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure it has locked into place.
- Check the pressure valve and make sure it is set to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button on the Instant Pot and set the time to 30 minutes. Pressure cook for 30 minutes and then naturally release the steam for 15 minutes.
- After 12 minutes carefully push the Instant Pot valve to the releasing setting allowing any steam to release.
- Open the lid carefully, away from your face to prevent a steam burn.
- Serve with white rice, crusty french bread or crackers.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Category: Instant Pot Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southern
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 251
- Carbohydrates: 20.6g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 21.5g
Keywords: Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas, No soak dried bean recipe, Instant Pot Dried Bean recipe, Black-Eyed Beans recipe, Beans and Ham recipe