Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
Hearty Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe made with chunky potatoes and carrots with a thick gravy served with crusty French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 lbs Golden Baby Potatoes, cut in half or quarters
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary or 1/2 a teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cool water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- On the saute setting of the Instant Pot melt the butter and brown 1/3 of the stew meat at a time. Place the browned meat in a bowl as you continue to brown the remaining stew meat.
- Once all the stew meat has been browned add the onion and celery to the empty Instant Pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute for another minute or two.
- Return the stew meat to the pressure cooker and add potatoes and carrots.
- Add the fresh or dried thyme, the fresh or dried rosemary and the bay leaves to the Instant Pot.
- Add the 6 cups of beef broth to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid making sure the valve is set to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button and set the timer for 35 minutes.
- Pressure cook the beef stew ingredients.
- Once the timer has gone off allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes carefully remove the lid from the Instant Pot.
- With a fork check to see if the potatoes and carrots are fork tender. If the potatoes and carrots are not fork tender at this point you can replace the lid and continue to pressure cook the beef stew for 5 more minutes. (see notes).
- Mix the cool water with the cornstarch until lump free. Pour it into the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Turn the saute setting on and bring the beef stew to a boil to thicken.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- Category: Instant Pot Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 549
Keywords: Instant Pot recipes, Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe, Stew Meat recipe,